yamaha cdn-500 cd player streamer ????

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi guys i know it maybe too early for anyone to have heard it as yet but just wondered if it was anygood as it certainly looks like a nice unit with a lot of functionality. im on the verge of buying the as 1000 amp for around 600/650 ( is it still a good buy or would an as 700 be just as good) so thought the cdn 500 would make a good two box system, and thoughts would be great.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Yamaha CD-N500 is on my short list (which is quite long!). Just in case you might wonder what other people may think:

My favourite Polish magazine AUDIO VIDEO published the only review I know about. The review itself is shocking. They employ a really strict and detailed scale. They assess neutrality, precision, musicality, stereo effects, dynamics and bass - each marked 1-10. They calculate the percetage and then the stars (1-5). Believe it or not, this one got all 10s and, obviously, 100 %! It's the first time since early 90s I've seen such generosity. What's more, they place products in in 4 quality categories A-D (high end to entry level). Our Yamaha is special here as well: as a CD player it's between B and C (they rarely use this categorisation) and as a network player (with 24/192 FLAC files) a definite B! It's a real burgain for the price then. They even wonder themselves how this can be because the inside of the player looks pretty basic.

So, what do you make of this? I have to wait for another review, Im afraid. On the other hand, my past choices were mostly based on reviews in AUDIO VIDEO and I was always satisfied...

Come on guys! Get yourselves one of these, write your reviews to help me decide! Only joking...

Other items on my list: Rotel RCD-12, Pioneer PD-50, Onkyo C-7070, Arcam FMJ17, Marantz SA7003. As you can see, I'm not sure what I really want as these are quite different sounding players.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Well sounds good so far i still deciding which way to go as heard.roksan kandy but didnt like the yamaha as 1000 but would still like to hear as 2000 it seems a barhain player for everything that it does i will wait for another review and decide then

A

Anonymous

I have the CD N 500, CS-networkplayer now for about a month. Really not fully convinced:both the APP and the player itself need further software updates. First wireless the player is not able to access music on other network devices such as laptops which are wireless connected into the network: helps when you plug the cable in/out but that should not be the way it works. Also I still could not figure out (maybe it is me) how to stream music from internet sites (eg youtube) straight from the iPad to the player. The App only allows to stream music out of your library, no? - any tips? Asked the same on the Yamaha website like a week ago, but no reply yet - FIK -

abr3

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi FIK.

I've had mine for a similar time and so far liking it a lot, although I'm using mine a little differently. I haven't bothered with the Networked DLNA server yet. Instead I have mine connected to a Classic iPod via the USB. I then control the classic Ipod over Wifi using my iPhone. I prefer this way as there's no network weirdness to deal with (routers etc) and it always works.

RE: reading from a laptop. Are you running a DLNA server on your laptop? I haven't done this before, but it shouldn't care whether the server is wireless or not. Is it possible that your laptop is not in the same range of IP addresses (subnet) as your N500? This often happens where you have wireless access point connected to routers. I'll have a go at networking a laptop soon and see if I can get it to work.

The airplay functionality seems only to want to stream from the iPods library, but have you tried playing youtube and connecting via USB? I'm not at home now, will give this a go soon. It would be strange if that doesn't work.

Agreed the app could do with some improvement. My biggest gripe is that while you can select a internet radio station from your ipod, it won't show you on the app what song/artist is playing. Also, paging through the artists/albums via the app needs to be improved (e.g Go straight artists starting with 'x").

The included manual is pretty sparse, but I'm hoping that they will adding functionality via future updates and communicating them somewhere. Yamaha should set up a wiki with updates, tweaks etc.I think it's a nice looking component and sounds great. As you say, the software needs a little refinement - but it's very close to being ideal for me.

Cheers abr3

abr3

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi FIK

>Also I still could not figure out (maybe it is me) how to stream music from internet sites (eg youtube) straight from the iPad to the >player. The App only allows to stream music out of your library, no? - any tips?

You definately stream music from Youtube, Pandora via the USB connection.The app only allows you to stream from your Library, but if you fire up Youtube and then plug it in the USB, it works fine. I guess you are wanting to do this without wires..

I was half expecting that you might be able to select the Yamaha as an Airplay output when in Youtube but it seems not.

Cheers

abr3.

abr3

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi FIK

FYI - Yamaha have release a firmware update ( v 2.0 ). I also decided to give DLNA server a go from the wireless Windows7 laptop. It didn't work initially, but I was able to start a Microsoft Home Network wizard form with Media Player that fixed the problem. I never tried this before the firmware update.

If it works wired but not wireless, I wonder if you have a separate wireless access point. I had a similar problem years ago when I was using an Apple Airport to provide wireless capability on my network. The cause of wireless connected devices not seeing the wired devices was that they were in a difference subnet range. (192.168.0.xxx rather than 192.168.1.xxx). The trick was to point the airport to use the same Network Address Translation (NAT) table as the router.

On your last point, it seems that the you can only pull content into the CD-500 not push to it - like you would expect with Airplay. Maybe they will improve this down the track but for now it doesn't worry me. The app works quite well with a DLNA server and okay with a USB connected iPod.

skylord

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I've had my CD-N500 for a few months now and am very pleased with it. Clear, precise, warm sound; well engineered and easy to use. I have heard that it partners the AS 700 particularly well. Me and my 400+ CD's are sorted until the next revolution comes along.

hermano

May 16, 2013
Visit site
How does this compare with squeezebox touch?

Is there any improvement in SQ?

Is the app as easy to use as the squeezebox ones? Have you noticed in issues that would put someone off buying?

I am considering the yamaha, but may just get a dac for SBT? What do you think?

Cheers for any thoughts.

audioaddict said:
hi guys i know it maybe too early for anyone to have heard it as yet but just wondered if it was anygood as it certainly looks like a nice unit with a lot of functionality. im on the verge of buying the as 1000 amp for around 600/650 ( is it still a good buy or would an as 700 be just as good) so thought the cdn 500 would make a good two box system, and thoughts would be great.

hermano

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, old post back to life...as still pertinent...to me anyway.

I was just wondering what people thought of the yamaha cd streamer...was it any good?

How does it compare to SBT? There is not much info out there.

hermano

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks audioaddict...I am hoping someone with the yamaha cd n500 can come here and give a review...esp if they have had it a while now.

I have a squeezebox but wondered if this would be an upgrade in sound quality as a number of other streamers are outside my budget...

cheers

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
actually i didnt get to listen with my own speakers which was a shame......the first speakers were in hughes and they were hooked up to the monitor audi bx5 with the matching cds 300 cd player ............bass was very deep although the cd player wasnt the most detailed ive heard although it was a sound i could have lived with for the money................the second speakers were the q acoustic concept 20 .........not as deep as the bx5s but still nicely balanced with plenty of punch and enough detail to satisfy.....again a nice set up for the money .............its now got me fancying the yamaha pairing becuase i refuse to spend another fortune on hifi as much as it my hobby .........they were oth systems i could live with

paulhh1967

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
The CD-N500 is a very good player, better than the CD-S700 i also have. The N500 is more dynamic and open, more detail and neutral sounding. The S700 is more on the warm side and leaner, a bit dull i would say. Combined with my AS700 amp, the N500 is a better match.

The only minor thing is that some functions on the N500 remote does not work for the AS700 amp (power, volume and mute), the source function is the only one that does work.

I have connected the N500 to wireless internet with a Netgear WNCE2001 wifi adapter. Works great! no droppings/fall outs or a bad connection. Connect it with his own line adapter to the net, so no usb cable in front of the player. ;)

Use the Pure Direct function for cd, usb and net functions. The sound this player produced is sublime for it's price.

I LOVE IT!

Sebasound

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried the CDN 500 with Spotify?

I currently have Spotify on my Iphone and Ipod touch which i have connected to my AS500 amp through a copper cable from the headphone output Would i be able to use them wirelessly though this streamer?

I'm hoping this will not only make things more convenient but also improve the sound quality due to the DAC in the CDN 500. Any thoughts?

Mog

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a CD N500 partnered with a Yamaha AS 500 and bi-wired Monitor Audio BX 5 floor standing speakers. The sound is better than anything I've ever owned. I believe that the CD player is a 32 bit, and it absolutely blows away my old system (a Teac reference that was about 10 years old). If you shop around you can get one for about £250 and the amp can be found even cheaper. Connected to my home network it does a great job with music stored on my P.C. and network radio and for the money it is fantastic value in my opinion. I'm no expert, mind, with limited finances but I do listen to a lot of music. However if you go with this amp and play vinyl I would suggest a phono pre- amp as the built in phono provision isn't as good as the rest of it (I use a ProJect Debut III with a ProJect Phono Box). Hope this is useful, mate.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
sounds like a great system mog.........i posted this thread quite a while ago now and glad to see its still relevant..............sounds like it was a great piece of kit after all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts