Yamaha AS500 - First Impressions

bigsteviet

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
God, YES!

Straight out of the box and I'm impressed with both the clarity and the weight (of the music, but the unit is nicely heavy too :)

It's breathed new life into my Monitor Audio Silver 4is and I haven't heard Miles Davis' Flamenco Sketches sound so good in years! Also very convincing with Marilyn Manson and Rage Against The Machine, amongst others.

I'm using Pure Direct mode and it just sounds 'right' to me across the range. It is missing out on the bass, but I'm sure that's down to the speakers, not the amp. I've not heard any distortion at way beyond comfortable listening levels, before I chickened out through consideration for my neighbours and gave up.

This isn't a scientific review, but I am LOVING listening to my favourite music through this amp and that's what it's all about for me.

OK, I can't afford more expensive systems to compare it to, but I have listened to many of them and for the money (£170 from Richer Sounds), it's got to be pretty tough to beat. I'm pretty fussy about my music (although I'm far from an audiophile) and on a first evaluation, I'm VERY impressed with it.

I know regular readers will be aware of this amp, but I thought I'd share my opinion - hope it helps. Big thumbs up!

bigsteviet

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Second impressions:

Still loving it as a speaker amp. Couldn't be happier, esp for the price.

BUT... Possibly the worst headphone out I have ever encountered! It might be the pairing with my AKG K271 studios, but it's overbright, sharp and introduces sibilance. If you intend to use it with phones, make sure you audition it first!

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Have had one for nearly a year- fantastic value and loads of power even for insensitive Kefs.

Might be overbright for some but I love it.

bigsteviet

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Tannoyed said:
I agree.  Have had one for nearly a year- fantastic value and loads of power even for insensitive Kefs.

Might be overbright for some but I love it.

Which kef's are you using? Feedback welcome. I've been eyeing up the q100 & 300s...

Tannoyed

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
R700 and yes I know they are in a different league but I have always held the view that money spent on the transducers has more benefit than spending it elsewhere. Might upgrade amp one day but to improve it will take a lot of money! This amp punches well above its weight. The speakers could handle a lot more power but I've scoped the output and it never gets near clipping so there is plenty of headroom for me and I like my music loud!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thumbs up for the Q100's although mine are driven by a Marantz PM6004, as I found it a better amp when I demo'd both. But I'm aware many prefer the Yamaha sound too.

TatuHoo

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Recently bought a stereo amp.

My new NAD 356 just blew me away. I had listened to music as mp3's through hometheatre amp. Now I listen from CDs through my stereo amp and music sounds so brilliant.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
After a week with Yam 500, I returned it for a Mara 6004: the sound is More full and bodied and after 2 years is going better: I have no complaint for the Quad 34.306 that I have used for 20 years before...*biggrin*

yam is beautiful, but too light and bright.

TatuHoo said:

My new NAD 356 just blew me away. I had listened to music as mp3's through hometheatre amp. Now I listen from CDs through my stereo amp and music sounds so brilliant.
Well said! People seem to think that a theatre amp with a million channels and settings will sound as good as a stereo amp at a similar price. They are wrong and you are right!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd argue the problem was more likely the mp3's than the receiver.

The receiver having more options ref CD playback i.e coax, optical aswell as offering analog inputs.

Worth experimenting with.

I'd also recommend turning of all unused channels and directing LFE to fronts and setting speakers to large.

Then compare with a price compatible stereo amp.

nopiano said:
TatuHoo said:

Well said!  People seem to think that a theatre amp with a million channels and settings will sound as good as a stereo amp at a similar price.  They are wrong and you are right!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts