Yamaha AS500 Bright or Warm?

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I own a yamaha as500 hooked with kef Q100 . Couldnt find out whether its warm or bright?

What sort of speaker will go with yamaha as500 warm or bright?

A

Anonymous

i am using B&W 685's with one. sounds lovly. very pleasent sound all round! love it to bits

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
a-s500 midrange and neutrality is not so good but you got to love the details, dynamics, seperations, timings and the sub-out witch got better basslines than most av-recievers. As-500 is not complete in sound But it seriously challange premium AV recievers, it can be a really good 2.0/2.1 alternativ to a 5.1 system! Yamaha aims for music but landed more like a nice cinema amplifier.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Unless you're trying to put together a tonally neutral system, it doesn't really matter whether a system is bright or warm etc - the main thing is that YOU like the sound of it :)

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Actually when listening to pink floyd it sounds good but listening to Linkin Park it sounds horrible, the sound gets muffled and disorganized is this the amp's fault or the speakers are not capable enough?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
audipheonix said:
Actually when listening to pink floyd it sounds good but listening to Linkin Park it sounds horrible, the sound gets muffled and disorganized is this the amp's fault or the speakers are not capable enough?

....might be neither, but the fault of the source. Can you borrow a good CDP like a Rega Apollo and that will tell you whether it's the amp or not. TBH I don't think it's the speakers, which are only passing on what's being fed to them.

A

Anonymous

I also own the Yam, I was instantly seduced by the sound of "softer" music... Radiohead, some local folklore bands, some classical music, all that sounded wonderful, detailed, and way smoother than anything I expected at home (did not demo the system at home before buying it, all hard surfaces in a small space)... A little on the clinical side, which I don't dislike myself, carefully chose the speakers accordingly to that taste (BX5). CDp is Marantz CD6004, and it just matches perfectly with the Yam. So just like Cno mentionned, could be a good thing to upgrade your source.

But that being said, I knew the real test would come with "heavier" music... so upon experimenting, I listened first to the Lost Highway soundtrack, seemed appropriate for a gradual appreciation, mixing many musical inspirations and styles. Bowie "I'm deranged", then Nine Inch Nails "The Perfect Drug"... Smashing Pumpkins "Eye", Lou Reed "This Perfect Moment", then a couple of accoustic tracks, and then Marilyn Manson "Apple of Sodom" and "I Put A Spell On You"... and then Rammstein. I was amazed. Better than anything I had in mind, it seems the system could handle anything - in my very humble opinion at least. Also listened to some trance and techno my brother brought on New Year's Eve. Yet again, it was all perfect. Only band I did not dare to test yet is Slipknot. Well, that's just the type the wife won't handle, so I'll have to wait for a better timing! ;)

All this to say that you should be able to appreciate some Linkin Park through that amp... In fact I did... and like it was said here, the speakers are the least important factor in your setup right now. So that leaves the source...

audipheonix

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
PhilBlvdElec said:
I also own the Yam, I was instantly seduced by the sound of "softer" music... Radiohead, some local folklore bands, some classical music, all that sounded wonderful, detailed, and way smoother than anything I expected at home (did not demo the system at home before buying it, all hard surfaces in a small space)... A little on the clinical side, which I don't dislike myself, carefully chose the speakers accordingly to that taste (BX5). CDp is Marantz CD6004, and it just matches perfectly with the Yam. So just like Cno mentionned, could be a good thing to upgrade your source.

But that being said, I knew the real test would come with "heavier" music... so upon experimenting, I listened first to the Lost Highway soundtrack, seemed appropriate for a gradual appreciation, mixing many musical inspirations and styles. Bowie "I'm deranged", then Nine Inch Nails "The Perfect Drug"... Smashing Pumpkins "Eye", Lou Reed "This Perfect Moment", then a couple of accoustic tracks, and then Marilyn Manson "Apple of Sodom" and "I Put A Spell On You"... and then Rammstein. I was amazed. Better than anything I had in mind, it seems the system could handle anything - in my very humble opinion at least. Also listened to some trance and techno my brother brought on New Year's Eve. Yet again, it was all perfect. Only band I did not dare to test yet is Slipknot. Well, that's just the type the wife won't handle, so I'll have to wait for a better timing! ;)

All this to say that you should be able to appreciate some Linkin Park through that amp... In fact I did... and like it was said here, the speakers are the least important factor in your setup right now. So that leaves the source...

Thanks for the info :grin:

I have a huge collection of cd and as well as in my pc. I listen from both of them. Now I have a dilema to go for the cdp or buy a dacmagic and play my music through the pc. Most of the files are in flac or lossless format. So a question 2 u is whether playing the music through the dacmagic will give the same effect as in playing through cdp ( either marantz or CA).

:?

A

Anonymous

For all I could gather a DAC would be the better solution here. Could even buy yourself a decent Blu Ray player (like Sony) and use the optical out in the DAC if your Philips doesn't have optical or coaxial outs. Would be a lot cheaper than a dedicated CDp, and would allow for more money on the DAC while still being capable to play CD's - and even SACD's with Sony. Which DAC should you choose, please don't ask me...

Sliced Bread

I agree with Cno.

If you are using the Phillips DVD player as your source, then you can do WAY better. Either another cd player or dac.

I don't think you'll need to spend a fortune to beat the Phillips.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts