I currently have Yamaha AS500, Yamaha CDS3000 and Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers.

I'm looking to upgrade the components and thought I would start with the amp, attracted by the Yamaha AS2100.

Can someone tell me if I would notice that much of a difference running it on the kit I currently have. I can't afford to upgrade everything in one swoop! *stop*

Thanks in advance

Richard

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
And all the associated madness.

Short answer, yes. The 2100 is a fabulous old-school muscle amp. The 500 is, in my opinion, a leaner presentation; nothing wrong with that of course, but you will probably enjoy going "full-fat", so to speak.

I used to run a Yamaha and Monitor Audio combination, always found it thoroughly enjoyable.

It goes without saying, however, that you should try and audition it and see for yourself. Listen especially for the sense of depth and control.

Best of all, great big VU metres! But you already knew that, didn't you*good*

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Richard Lee said:
I've basically been offered a new one of these for £1200 and kind of thought this may be a steel considering the RRP is £2000. Thoughts?

I'd say it is a great amp, great build quality, looks cool (IMO), and plenty of power.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
A nice amp that does the job it's supposed to – amplify.

Doesn't seem to leave its mark on the music like some amps can, just amplifies what is there.

Looks cool, plenty of power for the money, nice array of inputs/outputs.

For £1200.00, if you like it, why not?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The amplifier is important but I belive speakers is even more, if you have the space take one of the bigger up to date speakers out there like Jbl studio 290 or if you have the cash the upcoming Dali opticon 8 :), Whatever order you do write those two speakers on your list.

rainsoothe

seems like a good deal. Can you audition? Roksan K3 is also in that price range, and it too might be worth considering. In any case, whichever you go for, save 1k pound speakers to do the amp justice, like ATC SCM11, Focal Aria 926 (if you want floorstander), Sonus Faber, PMC or Martin Logan 35XT :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
For £1200 this amp is a steal - just look at the power supply on yamaha website - it will eat up an (over priced Roksan Kandy K3 in my opinion) for breakfast - this is a real slice of high end

dont listen to what people say about amps not mattering as much as speakers -i can say from first hand experience that amps do matter a lot - and also the speakers

The Yamay is a serious £2000 amp with loads of power but more importantly quality current to drive seakers to 2 ohm load - My old roksan k2 could not even control my 8ohm kefs properly and they only dropped as low as 3.2ohm

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
also the 2100 has a hign 250 damping factor so it will take control of the bass drivers - this is very important - even though speakers are designed to compensate for this

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts