Yamaha A-3030 or A-3020 perfomance as compared to the Yamaha DSP Z7.

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any experience of the the Yamaha A-3030 or A-3020 as compared to the Yamaha DSP Z7.

For sure there is some improvement, but I am wondering if there is a huge step up from the DSP Z7 to either the The A-3030 or A-3020, particularly on the musical side, i.e. to say if the upgrade would be worth the money.

I am quite content with the AV perfomance (movies), but would certainly like to enhance the musical (stereo music) side :rockout: .

The music sounds a bit restrained and lacking in details. Any other recommendations for greatly improving the musicality side of my system would be gratefully welcomed.

My current system is as in my signature. Room size is about 5 meter X 4 meters and ceiling of 2.5 meters (if it is of any significance).

Thanks in advance.

:cheers:

Best regards

Peter

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think this is a tricky one.

Your current system is pretty well balanced, so despite the 3020/3030 possibly showing some improvements over the DSPZ7, you'd be looking at the 'next step up' in order to reap any worthwhile benefits. If you improved your speakers, you may then be taking them out of the DSPZ7's comfort zone (depending on the package you'd be looking at).

Depending on the area of the frequency range that is lacking in detail, you could play about with the EQ to bring that frequency range more to the fore. I presume you have performed an auto setup? If so, have you left it as it was set, or did you make any changes?

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi David,

Many thanks for your helpful reply (as is always).

I have run the Autosetup, and only increased the Center speaker setting by a couple of dBs.

I would like to have the music a little brighter, so I guess I need to play about with the EQ as per your suggestion.

Budgetwise I am not looking at going over the equivalent of about £ 1 000. I have had thoughts of perhaps connecting a two channel power amp behind the DSP Z7, but not really sure, if there wil be any significant gains.

Source that I use are Sony BDP-S780 for my CDs and Iphone for Spotify docked into the DSP Z7, and occasionally Internet Radio via the DSP Z7 service.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I know this might usually be against the rules, but there's no sale from this as it is purely info, but if you e-mail me, I can suggest the frequency bands and levels to try out. A few other people have done so and found it works for them.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I know this might usually be against the rules, but there's no sale from this as it is purely info, but if you e-mail me, I can suggest the frequency bands and levels to try out. A few other people have done so and found it works for them.

Does it take longer to type them onto a forum than into an email?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Does it take longer to type them onto a forum than into an email?

I then need to know the frequency bands he has to change, and then work out which ones would be best to change and by how much based on his speakers, then things become cluttered. It isn't a 'blanket' solution for everyone as the recommendations will be different for different speaker packages and how much of a difference someone is looking for. Anyone is free to get in touch with me and ask the same thing.

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
David,

I have done some tweaking of the EQ levels as per your suggestion, and the musicality has improved a great deal, and the musical reproductions is more to my liking, now. :dance: :)

I now have an idea what adjustments to play with, and will continue experimenting along those lines.

Many thanks for your help and patience. :cheers:

Best regards

Peter

Peterkins

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I would like to further add that the Sub-woofer and the two front speakers are now each perched on a piece of granite slab (40x40cm , 3 cm high and weighing about 10 Kg a piece).
I have placed an equal size piece of carpet under the slab on the floor (board).

The transformation is quite noticeable, with sharper middle and treble and the base is very tight and controlled (no boom at high volumes), however I have to turn the volume up a bit more than before. It definitely sounds much better especially at higher volumes.

I have read somewhere that there are special support boards (aurelex gamma boards???) that are even better for this kind of thing?

Thanks

Best regards
Peter

TRENDING THREADS