Yamaha A-201

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Just bought one of these for my office system. I can honestly say that I am more then immpressed with it for the money. It's not the best build I have seen, it certainly won't give you a hernia lifting it into place. Once it is in place, it has the power to drive most real world speakers, makes a good fist at the hi-fi attributes in terms of sound stage and timing, and lets the details out without becoming waring in the process. It has a good tonal balance.

It makes me wonder why cheap kit seems to have come so far in the last few years, and the brands with higher end aspirations seem to have stood still.

Don't necessarily think that hi-end stuff has stood still. What I do believe has happened is there's far more choice in terms of brands, formats etc etc. Where, years ago, there was a distinction between budget, midrange and hi-end, I think that has been distorted. Now higher end budget and lower end midrange is almost identical in terms of SQ and, in many cases, build and features.

But, again it boils down to system matching: Get the ideal synergy in a budget set-up, it can equal or eclipse a relatively poorly matched midrange kit. Therein lies the dilemmas of hi-fis.

Great you've found a good, honest example of how not to spend fortunes. :)

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
It delivers 100 watts @ 8 ohm. Very impressive for the price.

How does it sound ?

I hope it sounds better than the A-S500 because that is one of the most aggressive sounding amplifiers I've ever heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts