XO settings for kef3005(advice needeed plz David...:)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

after much reading from these forums,and searching on the net.....i am completley and utterley confused!!

After audio set-up,i checked to see what the XO levels were,(after reading on the net that they should be high)

this is what it reads on the amp....

F.....45HZ

C....50HZ

S.....50HZ

Could someone plz explain to this dumb plasterer if this is ok??

sounds fantastic for movies,but i have upped the speaker levels for CD play...is this ok??

cheers

graham

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Set all speakers to small, set xover to 80htz for all 5 speakers, turn volume to zero on amp then press test tone, if you have iPhone or touch with mic get the SPL meter app. Set all speakers to 75db. Set SPL app to slow and C weighted. If no iPhone etc let amp determine speaker levels in setup.

Does this help??

michael hoy

Graham,

If you can and want to, ask WHFI to exchange our email addresses, I think we may live somewhere near and I maybe able to help.

Did you sort out the other problem with the setup menu not appearing on screen?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
thanx for the replies guys.....i will try what you suggested...thanx.

no...couldnt get menu up on screen...think i need an additional lead,but the sky works.....lomy e-mail is spsplastering@yahoo.co.uk michael:)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
tried what you sugested sta99y...well,i set XO'S at 80htz,then ran auto set-up....XO'S changed bk to 50htz,except center,80hrtz!!cant understand,but still sounds good...lol

speaker levels have changed from previous aswell...hmmmmm......

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
spsplastering said:
tried what you sugested sta99y...well,i set XO'S at 80htz,then ran auto set-up....XO'S changed bk to 50htz,except center,80hrtz!!cant understand,but still sounds good...lol

speaker levels have changed from previous aswell...hmmmmm......

What you maybe able to do is set the xover to 80htz manually and in auto setup if ur able skip everything apart from levels!! Then run auto setup, This will then keep all ur manual settings sand set the levels to Ur listening position using the mic plugged into amp.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
unfortunatley,auto set-up over rides my manual settings.

if anyone could explain to me(in an addressing an idiot sort of way)how xo's affect my listening experiance i would be very greatfull:)

gave system some real welly yesterday...very very nice

cheers

graham

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Audyssey can be a little hit and miss sometimes, setting some sub/sat package crossover levels stupidly low...

As mentioned, you couldsee if there's the option of skipping the crossover frequency test in the set-up. If not, you'll just have to do an auto set-up and then change the crossover points manually afterwards.

Depending on the volume you're playing at, you could also try 90Hz or 100Hz - if the sub's good enough to deal with that crossover point, there'll be less load on the amplifier.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I checked receiver manual and once auto setup has been run press enter to save settings, you can then go back in manually and change xover settings. Once they set to your liking exit menu and press enter to save. You should now have auto setup with your own tweaks.

if you like to give it some welly as you put it do as David suggests and try at 90htz or 100htz.
Invest in an SPL meter or an App to get levels correct and a tape measure to set distances because auto setup is not always as accurate as what you could be.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the sdvice guys,i will set them manualy.

if you know of a link that explains XO levels and stuff...in an easy to absorb detail could you post it on here for me to digest!!!

i'm frightened of harming the speakers/amp by playing with what i dont realy understand.

cheers

graham:)

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
spsplastering said:
Thanks for the sdvice guys,i will set them manualy.

if you know of a link that explains XO levels and stuff...in an easy to absorb detail could you post it on here for me to digest!!!

i'm frightened of harming the speakers/amp by playing with what i dont realy understand.

cheers

Digest this for a bit
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/109297.html

Basically if you set xover too low ie; below 80htz to much low frequencies (BASS) will sound thru your sat speakers resulting in damage at high volume!! 80htz upto 120htz will be just fine.
Hope this helps

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that Stay99y.....i have st them to 100htz......am playing with parametors and level's now!!!!

cheers

graham

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
spsplastering said:
Thanks for that Stay99y.....i have st them to 100htz......am playing with parametors and level's now!!!!

cheers

graham

Excellent. The site in the link has so much knowledge and is pretty jargon free.

On the sub turn frequency all the way up high as amp settings will over rule sub settings. Gain to roughly 12 o'clock or just past this and phase either as to what sounds best.

Google "crawling on knees for sub placement" interesting read buddy.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
i have adjusted the sub's phase from 0 to 180.....havn't a clue what this will do.too late now to crank volume up,but will see tmrw!!!

can't adjust the gain on this sub....but thanks for the link....interesting reading:)

graham

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
spsplastering said:
i have adjusted the sub's phase from 0 to 180.....havn't a clue what this will do.too late now to crank volume up,but will see tmrw!!!

can't adjust the gain on this sub....but thanks for the link....interesting reading:)

graham

its best to have someone turn phase whilst you listen to see if you notice a difference.
Gain on sub.... you say you dont have?? which sub is it? Gain (volume)
Also did you allow auto setup measure you speaker distance? preferably i would check this and measure from middle of speaker cone to your listening position then input manually.
Also do you have an iphone?

Darrell

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Darrell,

The sub is the HTB2SE,it has 3 controls....phase:0-180

auto-manual

bass boost+6-+12

i havnt got an i-phone,but will invest in a sound meter

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi Graham

On sub see which sounds best +6db or +12db, SPL meter will need to have C weighted switch and a SLOW switch so you can get accurate readings.

Any more info you need just reply and il follow thread.

Darrell

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Darrell,i think i have much to understand about sound AV settings...lol

when i turn the sub up to,say,6db,it sounds far to ''boomy''.....but i will continue to 'tune' my ears:)

by the way,any idea why i cant get the amp menue thru my tv?

i have sky HD connected to amp via HDMI&OPTICAL;HDMI running from amp(the only'out'port)to the tv.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
spsplastering said:
Thanks Darrell,i think i have much to understand about sound AV settings...lol

when i turn the sub up to,say,6db,it sounds far to ''boomy''.....but i will continue to 'tune' my ears:)

by the way,any idea why i cant get the amp menue thru my tv?

i have sky HD connected to amp via HDMI&OPTICAL;HDMI running from amp(the only'out'port)to the tv.

Hi Graham Sub may sound boomy due to placement, is it in a corner? Experiment by moving it along the wall slightly so it's an unequal distance from the two Walls, I guessing your sub is the tall round disc shape? If it's ported keep the port away from the wall or try bunging it up. On amp you should have monitor out which connects via HDMI to tv. If you have this connected maybe there is a button on amp remote saying "on screen"? Darrell

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The sub is in the a corner of thr room Darrell,the MRS wont let me place anwhere else,even tho its a work of art...lol

On reflection,i think i know just what was the cause of the 'boomy'bass....the XO's for the satalites was set far too low,so i persume this may be the cause.

Anyways it now sounds better than ever,even at low volume:)

thanks for your advice

graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts