admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My situation is this - I need to take a XLR out to an RCA or DIN in. What I seem to have decided on (unless anyone can tell me otherwise)  is to have an XLR to XLR cable and then have an XLR to RCA adaptor into the amp. I have been looking around at XLR cables though and it seems you can buy some very expensive ones. I've always thought the very nature of XLR means they needn't be as expensive as the historic but well loved RCA?

Would buying a Chord Anthem XLR reap the benefits a Chord Anthem RCA would bring? Also because it wouldn't actually be balanced would this make the difference that would make the expense worth it or would you try a different set up?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I did not know much about XLR cables and did a bit of research on the web. I have a Primare i30 amp which I used Chord RCA cables with.

The only places where I could find advice or views were on sound engineering sites, and they seems adamant that you didn't need a top end cable, and most of the ones used by broadcasters and sound studios were of medium/low price. They said that the way the cable worked, it didn't need to be expensive.

Given that these guys do this for a living, I bought a Belden/Neutrik XLR from bluejeans' web site. The sound seemed to be cleaner and more crystal like, when compared to the RCA. This wasn't an involved study, but What Hi-Fi had a very similar opinion of the Primare's XLR output. I was more delighted to have a spare Chord cable for my second system.

I spent £50, and gasp at the prices of some cables. My dealer quoted me between £150 and £500, and although it is bad to judge without hearing, my instincts tells me this is overpriced and low value - given my a small experience with these and the advice from some pros.

I am even wondering if £50 was too much, and I think there is a British site I found which may be cheaper still, it had a guy's name, with .com on the end. The name passes me right now.

Could you post your views on the difference if you do the swap. I would be glad to hear the rest of the community's views.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
My situation is this - I need to take a XLR out to an RCA or DIN in. What I seem to have decided on (unless anyone can tell me otherwise) is to have an XLR to XLR cable and then have an XLR to RCA adaptor into the amp. I have been looking around at XLR cables though and it seems you can buy some very expensive ones. I've always thought the very nature of XLR means they needn't be as expensive as the historic but well loved RCA?

Would buying a Chord Anthem XLR reap the benefits a Chord Anthem RCA would bring? Also because it wouldn't actually be balanced would this make the difference that would make the expense worth it or would you try a different set up?

. If it's at line level, like a CD player, whatever way you do it isn't going to affect the sound quality very much.

A

Anonymous

Grimly Fiendish:
. If it's at line level, like a CD player, whatever way you do it isn't going to affect the sound quality very much.

Thanks TNTTNT helpful advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

Grimly, surely running an XLR to XLR into an XLR to RCA adaptor is better than an XLR to RCA adaptor and then an RCA to RCA?

I know the fact it's RCA in will expel any balanced improvements but the very nature of the XLR cable means it's less susceptible to interference?ÿ

I can also see me being wrong because if you can get an XLR cable for a fiver and a couple of adaptors that sounds the same as an £150 RCA why would anyone buy RCA?

Please excuse my stupidity - I'm new to this balanced thing. I understand XLR on it's own it's when you take the balancing out of the situation that's throwing me.ÿ

A

Anonymous

This is how balanced systems work:

So if you don't have a balanced system, there's no point in using an XLR cable. If the system is balanced, cable quality is not as important as in an RCA cable; but still, in very high-end systems, I've been told that you can tell differences between different XLR cables.

balancedmc2.gif

A

Anonymous

Octopo -

Firstly you can buy cables that go from XLR out to RCA/DIN in, my recommended company for a no hassle deal would be going to Chord. They just have to be customed made. - That sonically would be your best bet as adapters take away from the sound slightly.

Secondly - Differences in the quality of the cable are very noticable. I have just installed the Chord Indigo XLR [going from the stock supplied one] cable between my DAC and Transport and what a dramatic change it has brough to the sound - made me fall in love all over again :).

NB: But lets not forget the most important rule when it comes to cabling - you cabling costs should be in the region of about 20% of th cost of your system. For example, my DAC and Transport are 4K and the Chord Indigo was 1K. So my cabling costs for the 2 was 25%.

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that it's clear now. If the balanced cable hasn't got XLR connections at both ends into both components you lose ANY noise cancellation.

So by doing it my original way the XLR cable would perform like a poor mans RCA? Vinny 7 - I've been quoted £140 from Chord for a Chameleon XLR to Din custom - I just fancy paying a fiver instead if at all possible.

(Great diagram Tannoylite you should resize it before it gets removed as it may help others in the future?)ÿ

A

Anonymous

If the cable hasnt got XLR on each end then essentially its not a balanced cable - instead it will act more like an RCA cable - which just transfers the signal - therefore the better quality cable you can invest in (generally speaking) the better the shielding and quality of the signal transfer - which ultimately results in a better sound.

Chord are a fantastic company and if they have or can obtain a chord chamelion with the connections you need then you can pay for them and have a full refund if you are not happy. However with the nature of your cable and it being a custom made job perhaps it would be best to ring Chord and speak to a technician. They obviously being experts will be able to assist you furthur with regards to your problem.

Just because a cable is XLR type does not mean that it is better
equipped at stopping noise from entering the cable - as far as I know
its the sheilding the cable has from both connections points.Again,
Chord will know the rights and wrongs regarding this matter better than
me

Dont forget my main point though Octopo (strange name btw:p) Only invest in the Chord Chameleon if your kit warrents it.

Also this XLR to DIN connection cable you need - what is it for? For example DAC to Transport/ Pre to Power?

A

Anonymous

Vinny7:
Also this XLR to DIN connection cable you need - what is it for? For example DAC to Transport/ Pre to Power?

It is to connect a Lavry DA-10 (which only has XLR out) to a Nait. If I don't like the Lavry I will continue to use it with my Benchmark. I would spend up to £200 RCA wise I think - I believe the Nait can handle the scrupulous characteristics of both DAC's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts