X12 to x14 or Dali Rubicon 2???

earlxtr

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
First let me say that I am a huge dynaudio fan. The x12 gems have gotten better with every upgrade I have made to my system. The combination of Metrum Octave with the Bryston amp (3bSST2) makes the Dyns sound heavenly...but the question I have is, are there other levels of heaven I can get to??? One huge limiting factor is the size of my listening room. At only 3.5m by 4.5m, I can only move the speakers 30cm from the back wall. The eliminates all the higher end Dynaudios as well as so many other speakers. I could move to the new x14 and be safe, but I'm afraid that's not much of an upgrade. Whathifi was not thrilled with them but other reviewers raved about them. I realize that WhatHiFi loves very fast and detailed speakers and the x14's might not be up the best in that regard. Would the recently reviewed (and loved) Rubicon 2 be a worthy upgrade? Is it significantly better than the x14s would be? Is 30cm from the back wall really enough for them? For twice the price of the x14, will they sound better? The other speakers that I am most interested in is the ATC SCM series. I've heard them and been very impressed, especially with acoustic music and vocals. I'd like to keep this upgrade under $6,000US if I can. Earl

matthewpiano

You say your hi-fi sounds like heaven. Do you really need to change your speakers?

If you still want to, I think you'll have to go considerably better than the X14s to improve enough and at this sort of level you are going to have to do some proper auditioning, at home as well as at the dealer.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I tested both the Dynaudio X12 and the Dali Rubicon 2 in my own setup and the Dali sounds more refined than the Dynaudio and is imo a better speaker than the Dynaudio. But the sound is different from the Dynaudio.

earlxtr

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
erwincHow would you describe the sound difference between the x14 and the Rubicon 2? I'm expecting the Dali to be more lean and not as sweet as the Dyns, a little closer to the ATC sound? Do you prefer your PMC 21 to either of them? What would you purchase if you were starting over?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
earlxtr said:
erwinc How would you describe the sound difference between the x14 and the Rubicon 2? I'm expecting the Dali to be more lean and not as sweet as the Dyns, a little closer to the ATC sound? Do you prefer your PMC 21 to either of them? What would you purchase if you were starting over?

Like i said, i find the Dali speakers more refined, more sweet sounding than the x12 and they are not leaner than the x12.

The Rubicon 2 sound quite different from the ATC scm11 i owned before.

I prefer the PMC 21 and Dali Rubicon 2 over the Dynaudio x12. Between the PMC and Dali it is a matter of taste/system synergie. I have chosen the PMC because the Dali is rear ported and in my setup that is not the best choice because my speakers are close to the back wall.

If i woulf start over again i would probably buy the PMC 22.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts