omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Was at a mate's last night in London - admittedly by the time we got there we were a little merry - he had a pair of Monopulse Model As powered by some Croft hybrid integrated amp. Source was a bog standard Marantz CD - he said it was old and cheap.

OK, it's a large loft style apartment, brick walls, wooden floors, very little furnishing (he's a banker, what can I say) - so essentially a pretty difficult listening environment I would imagine. Speakers probably a good 8 metres apart, at least 2 metres out from the walls behind and to either side. The whole room very square, about 10 metres by at least 12 metres. No idea whatsoever about cables or interconnects.

But hell did this sound good. We listened to all sorts of stuff - folk, electronica, Elvis, metal. WOW WOW WOW! Music just flying around all over the place, no idea what was coming from where - like nothing I've ever heard.

OK, so you're thinking this is the party juice inside us all - well, we relistened to a stack of stuff all this morning, and sober it was still UTTERLY AMAZING. A soundstage and stereo imaging like I've never heard - at low volumes pretty good, but the louder it got (and boy did it get loud) it was even better. Perhaps unsurprisingly.

He reckoned he'd got the amp and speakers for just under £2k - think the speakers were 2nd hand, amp was new. Source and cables all in he might have spent £2.5k.

In short, this was about as good as I can imagine ever wanting anything. My new house has a room with a similar sized room, but with weird roof angles that will probably give very different acoustics. I've heard (I mean read) a lot of people saying you can't beat the AVI 9s for value - but I think this was probably similar money (if you include the AVI sub) and frankly this completely blew away the AVIs that I auditioned.

Not sure what my point is - anyone else heard the Monopulses with or without the Croft, or vice-versa? I'm not sure which component was providing the magic, or if it was just synergy or just a combo of very high quality products.

Anyway, was a bit green - happy with my moderate set ups, but that was AMAZING!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the AVI 9 comparison might be a little unfair as the 40s might have been more appropriate for a room that size? So scratch that.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The large and relatively empty room would be quite 'lively' and would have probably added to the effect somewhat. Would your mate allow a home demo of his kit at your place, or too impractical?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
The large and relatively empty room would be quite 'lively' and would have probably added to the effect somewhat. Would your mate allow a home demo of his kit at your place, or too impractical?

Well, he's a nice guy, but I'm over in Gloucestershire so poss a bit impractical. Might suggest it to him though, he drives over here 3 or 4 times a year at least.

Agreed on the liveliness, but the warmth, tightness/control, sheer size of the bass, particularly noticeable with electronic music, was awesome. I mean massive gut punching bass, with mids and trebles flying around beautifully.

Maybe I was just a bit excited at being in the Big Smoke - all those people with their fancy ways and all!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
VoodooDoctor said:
I have Monopulse 32As on my Marantz CR-603. They are great speakers. Couldn't bring myself to part with them when I bought the MA Platinums.

The 32As are smaller than the Models As right? Sorry, I could/should just google that!

You couldn't part with them because you thought they competed, or you just kind of liked them? Do you still listen to them?

As good as I read the 603 is, I imagine better amplification might make them really sing. Have you tried?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
If it's interesting at all, listening position was a large sofa about 4 metres back from the speakers, pretty much exactly central to their positioning. 5 of us sat on the sofa - we swapped around like mad to see if we were getting different results. Inconclusive, probably due to drunkenness. The relistening session today was only 2 of us.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
CnoEvil said:
Croft + Monopulse....sounds like an unusual and inspired combination.

That's a nice thought. Oh, and I know he bought these blind - no auditioning.

He might have done, but suspect he had a small idea what he was doing. That is not the choice of a complete newbie!

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I think they are smaller than the Model A's.

They were hooked up to my Leema Tucana Mk I until I changed to the MA PL100s. I kept them because they are very good speakers and I only paid £300 for them. I always had a plan to use them in a second system. The house I later moved into has a large kitchen/diner for which I bought the Marantz and it gave me a prime opportunity to get them back into action.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
omnibeard said:
CnoEvil said:
Croft + Monopulse....sounds like an unusual and inspired combination.

That's a nice thought. Oh, and I know he bought these blind - no auditioning.

He might have done, but suspect he had a small idea what he was doing. That is not the choice of a complete newbie!

I'd love to agree with you, but from talking to him I think he did little more than a bit of reading on the web. He got the speakers first, with his previous amp (not sure what it was but he said it was old/cheap, didn't do the trick), and then I think he did a little research and decided to buy the Croft. He's a banker, and a bit anal - so I'm not surprised he got this right!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
I'd love to agree with you, but from talking to him I think he did little more than a bit of reading on the web. He got the speakers first, with his previous amp (not sure what it was but he said it was old/cheap, didn't do the trick), and then I think he did a little research and decided to buy the Croft. He's a banker, and a bit anal - so I'm not surprised he got this right!

With instinct like that, we could do with his input on here!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

He's a bit of a jammy bstard like that - earns a fortune, things just seem to go well for him (if you're into that sort of thing, I'm not - I'm a bit of a hippy, not sure why we're still friends!).

I don't really like his wife though, she's a bit of a fun vacuum if you know what I mean. Oh, and he has really bad asthma and has to use an inhaler.

Nice hifi though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
CnoEvil said:

He's a bit of a jammy bstard like that - earns a fortune, things just seem to go well for him (if you're into that sort of thing, I'm not - I'm a bit of a hippy, not sure why we're still friends!).

I don't really like his wife though, she's a bit of a fun vacuum if you know what I mean. Oh, and he has really bad asthma and has to use an inhaler.

Nice hifi though.

My brother's a high powered investment banker and a jammy bstard.....must go with the territory. I think he got my share of the luck, as all I got left with, was a jinx!!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My brother's a high powered investment banker and a jammy bstard.....must go with the territory. I think he got my share of the luck, as all I got left with, was a jinx!!

Yeah but you've got a nice stereo and a cool username - what has he got, really?

Really?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:
CnoEvil said:

Yeah but you've got a nice stereo and a cool username - what has he got, really?

Really?

You're right!

I'm already starting to feel sorry for him....that is, until he gets invited to play golf in Augusta, or takes clients on a "business conference" for a week in a 5* hotel in Vail!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You're right!

I'm already starting to feel sorry for him....that is, until he gets invited to play golf in Augusta, or takes clients on a "business conference" for a week in a 5* hotel in Vail!

See, that's my point - golf is for losers. Posting nonsense on a hifi forum from your sofa on a Sunday night is for winners.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
omnibeard said:
CnoEvil said:
You're right!

See, that's my point - golf is for losers. Posting nonsense on a hifi forum from your sofa on a Sunday night is for winners.

Finally I am a winner at something :bounce:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
omnibeard said:

Well I'll be, you're right again. I'm the jammy bstard! :doh:

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
DavieCee said:
Space. The final frontier. :)

Replicating the gear may be easy. Getting a similar listening room will be the hard part.

As I said, I have a very similarly sized room, which will have similarly shiny floors/walls. Slight differences in terms of window placement, massive difference in that mine will have an angled roof. Better get him over with his kit though to see how it works.

TRENDING THREADS