Wow! Imagine if all your existing CDs could magically contain way more data...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Anybody ever heard of "compressed sensing" technology. Apparently this new technology allows for sparse data to be filled in with extremely high accuracy. Like fuzzy pictures made super hi-res and accurate with no extra data. Magic! Sounds like this could be applied to existing data on compact discs. Your CDs could be read and transformed into super hi res audio streams by the next generation of players. WOW!

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

http://www.ratchetup.com/eyes/2010/03/compressed-sensing.html

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
idc:The only way to put back what wasnt there is to guess what was there. True, but it's not random guessing, it's educated guessing because they have figured out that the missing data has consistent properties that allow for accurate guessing. In fact, it's super accurate guessing.

A

Anonymous

Isn't this just upsampling, something that's been around for ages. Maybe throw in something weird like Q Sound.

idc

jaxwired:idc:The only way to put back what wasnt there is to guess what was there. True, but it's not random guessing, it's educated guessing because they have figured out that the missing data has consistent properties that allow for accurate guessing. In fact, it's super accurate guessing.

The same super accurate guessing algorithms which take data out to make lossy files, in reverse. But we always say you cannot put back what was not there!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
idc:The same super accurate guessing algorithms which take data out to make lossy files, in reverse. But we always say you cannot put back what was not there!

Did you ever hear the PDS Pioneers? They certainly sounded different to everyone elses CD players, and definitely had something about them that was preferable.....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They were at the time, but not sure why Pioneer dropped it. I say PDS, the PDS was referring to the transport mechanisms, which were stable platter, but it was mostly these that used Legato Link. This was a mathematical procedure which was designed to put in the harmonic frequencies above 20kHz that are brick walled by CD's. This was done on the basis that what we hear below 20kHz is affected by what we can't hear above, which was never there on the CD, but is/was/might've been on the vinyl.

It's a real shame Pioneer didn't produce a Stable Platter CD transport with a separate Legto Link DAC - that'd have been interesting....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt:Qsound comes from my stopping grounds in Alberta. Madonna has a disc done by them and it sounds pretty good.

It was quite popular in the early 90's, but seems to have disappeared now.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
They were at the time, but not sure why Pioneer dropped it. I say PDS, the PDS was referring to the transport mechanisms, which were stable platter, but it was mostly these that used Legato Link. This was a mathematical procedure which was designed to put in the harmonic frequencies above 20kHz that are brick walled by CD's. This was done on the basis that what we hear below 20kHz is affected by what we can't hear above, which was never there on the CD, but is/was/might've been on the vinyl.

It's a real shame Pioneer didn't produce a Stable Platter CD transport with a separate Legto Link DAC - that'd have been interesting....

Is the 'Legato Link' technology similar to the adjustable 'Dither' that I have on my Rotel RCD-991?

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Mike_Schmidt:Qsound comes from my stopping grounds in Alberta. Madonna has a disc done by them and it sounds pretty good.

It was quite popular in the early 90's, but seems to have disappeared now.

Sting did an album using Qsound as well... The "All this time" track had quite an impressive 3D effect when played on vinyl.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
From the link in the OP it looks like "compressed sensing" is throwing some data out but not while lossy compression, but before that - at the recording stage.
Using Cd analogy it would be like that:
Lossy compression way: record album at 24bit/192 khs (huge file), then downsample to 16/44 (big file - red book CD), rip to a lossy compressed format e.g. mp3 or AAC (small file).
Compressed sensing: record using compressed sensing directly to a lossy format (small file).

So do I want it for my music? No.

Are there benefits elsewhere (in other aplications/ways). Most certainly yes.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

I had one of those Link Legato Pioneer's years ago bought it from a catalogue, Freemans i think. To be honest i didn't know what i had at the time. When i traded it in at Audio T later on he started telling me all about it and what a good machine it was. I still traded it in though!

A

Anonymous

It would be a lot easier to do it the other way round: no compression on the mastering / original CDs, but then incorporate compression software in MP3s, car hifi etc.

F

FunkyMonkey

I'm sure the game Alien Triology on the original (2 channel) Playstation had Q sound!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Is the 'Legato Link' technology similar to the adjustable 'Dither' that I have on my Rotel RCD-991?

Not quite. The 991's 'dither' control was just adding distortions to make it sound different.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bernasmeister:Sting did an album using Qsound as well... The "All this time" track had quite an impressive 3D effect when played on vinyl.

Soul Cages. Roger Waters used it on Amused To Death too. There were quite a few around in the early 90's.

TRENDING THREADS