Would the Naim unitiqute drive the PMC 22?

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Maybe some dealers can answer this question, would the unitiqute drive the PMC 22 ok?

i want a neater solutions with less boxes, right now i own the exposure 3010s2 amp + 2010s2dac.

Hi poldo

I've used Naim's UnitiQute with Monitor Audio's Platinum PL200 speakers and the UnitiQute has coped admirably with PL200's. So, as long as you're not after disc constant disco like listening levels then the UnitiQute should also be fine with PMC's 22 speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Awesome!

No, no disco for me
smiley-smile.gif

Do you have experience with naim as a dealer?

I have the naim unitiserve I want to use the n serve app, not the nStream, how should I connect the serve to the qute? with a bnc-rca digital cable or just put the serve next to the router?

Cheers

Rob

John Duncan

OK. Again, I'm inclined to say that the Qute would make an equivalent substitute for the Exposure DAC, but am not clear on the differences between the nServe and NStream apps. Let me investigate and I'll come back to you...

plastic penguin said:
Should be fine with PMCs. Although, (as JD alluded to) with a 30 watt per channel, may struggle at higher volumes.

However, Rickcraft is being over zealous with his appraisal about Qute/PL200. If you look at the spec sheet http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/platinum/pl200/#/specification, they recommend amps 100 watts upwards.

Hi plastic penguin

What would you say about using a Krell KSA-50 (50w/ch) with PL200's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Should be fine with PMCs. Although, (as JD alluded to) with a 30 watt per channel, may struggle at higher volumes.

However, Rickcraft is being over zealous with his appraisal about Qute/PL200. If you look at the spec sheet http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/platinum/pl200/#/specification, they recommend amps 100 watts upwards.

Seems a bit harsh that someone who hasn't used this kit is telling an experienced dealer, who has actually used this kit in tandem, that he is 'over zealous' because he doesn't agree with recommendations on a spec sheet?

bigblue235 said:
plastic penguin said:

Seems a bit harsh that someone who hasn't used this kit is telling an experienced dealer, who has actually used this kit in tandem, that he is 'over zealous' because he doesn't agree with recommendations on a spec sheet?

No, but I wouldn't even pair the Naim XS with PL200s or even my Pulse. You need to be looking at amps around the Tucana area.

He bangs on about ATCs and control from amps, you think a 30 watt amp would be suitable with speakers retailing 3-4k and only 4 Ohms?

He has a habit of misleading people. Coming from a dealer this is irresponsible.

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The Krell was about 2k in the early 80s. But no I wouldn't. You know yourself if an amp is substantially underpowered serious damage can be caused to the speakers. Perhaps you should mention this in your posts.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree with PP.

The UnitiQute is a lovely little system that sounds great with the right speakers. But at the end of the day it's only has 30wpc which means it'll only sound good with easy to drive speakers and at moderate volume levels. If you push it too hard you can hear the amps struggling.

I heard it with some Dynaudio bookshelf speakers and thought a sounded pretty good.

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The Krell was about 2k in the early 80s. But no I wouldn't. You know yourself if an amp is substantially underpowered serious damage can be caused to the speakers. Perhaps you should mention this in your posts.

Hi plastic penguin

Why wouldn't you pair a Krell KSA-50/S with PL200's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Simple mathematics. Or do you think we're cretins because we don't run/own a hi-fi shop?

This is the last response to you I'll make on this subject.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Simple mathematics. Or do you think we're cretins because we don't run/own a hi-fi shop?

So not to follow the 'simple mathematics' makes one a cretin? By way of an example, Cnoevil uses Kef Refs quoted at 50w-300w, yet he uses a MF AMS35i amp, rated at 35w. By your logic, that would make him a cretin? Or might there be more to it than just following the 'simple mathematics' so slavishly?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There are no hard and fast rules.

My 50wpc (class D) M-CR603 was reviewed by Andrew with PMC GB1s (87dB, 8ohms, recommended amp power up to 200 watts and he found it...

"...proved more than capable of both driving them and making them sound rather special..."

And that was despite the M-CR603 being only very slightly more powerful than the minimum (40wpc) recommended by PMC themselves for those particular speakers.

I have heard PMC GB1is and FB1is used on the end of a NaimUniti and sounding superb. (With Jason Gould of Naim - on one occasion - taking great delight in giving it more 'welly' than I would ever dare to!)

There are also a lot of fans of class A amps (valve and solid state) who get great results from speakers with efficiency as low as 83dB despite their amps 'only' being rated at 25 wpc or so.

BenLaw said:
MUSICRAFT said:
I've used Naim's UnitiQute with Monitor Audio's Platinum PL200 speakers and the UnitiQute has coped admirably with PL200's.

plastic penguin said:
He has a habit of misleading people.

That's a pretty strong (and IMO utterly false) statement. In what way was Rick's comment misleading?

Not "pretty strong" at all just a forthright view based on 32 years of owning numerous set-ups and hearing many, many more of all budgets.

I would certainly be nervous about recommending a 30 wpc amp, costing around £1300 and connecting it with a 3.5-4k speaker which isn't the easiest to drive. Given that it's a known fact that speaker damage is very often caused by underpowered amps, his advice, at best, is misplaced.

Other outlandish claims: "Rotel RCD 965BX is the best CDP I've heard..." (He's stated this on a number of threads.

I still own the RCD975, its bigger sibling, and it retailed at around £495 in the late 90s. Very good CDP FOR MONEY. If I'd claim it was the best CDP I've ever heard you'd probably say I'm either mad or drunk... or both.

At the very least I try and advise on more suitable combos. And I always come back, even when I'm proven wrong, and apologise, something Rickcraft doesn't do, unless it's about his beloved ATCs, a Rotel amp that's rarer than smallpox in a coalmine. And numerous other examples I could give but can't be doing with it.

If any dealer had given me that advice I'd walk and never return.

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi plastic penguin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi plastic prnguin

Well there's a surprise. Not.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chebby said:
There are no hard and fast rules.

My 50wpc (class D) M-CR603 was reviewed by Andrew with PMC GB1s (87dB, 8ohms, recommended amp power up to 200 watts and he found it...

"...proved more than capable of both driving them and making them sound rather special..."

And that was despite the M-CR603 being only very slightly more powerful than the minimum (40wpc) recommended by PMC themselves for those particular speakers.

I have heard PMC GB1is and FB1is used on the end of a NaimUniti and sounding superb. (With Jason Gould of Naim - on one occasion - taking great delight in giving it more 'welly' than I would ever dare to!)

There are also a lot of fans of class A amps (valve and solid state) who get great results from speakers with efficiency as low as 83dB despite their amps 'only' being rated at 25 wpc or so.

You're right - there's no hard or fixed rules. Remember I powered the RS6s with my 40 watt Arcam for many years, and also, I've heard the original GB1s powered by my Arcam (and DB1is which have practically similar power specs) but I err on the cautious side when cranking up to high levels.

Both RS6s and GB1is are suitable for amps between 40-120 and the latter 40-200. It's the lower figure that I look at first, along with the dbs and ohms.

TRENDING THREADS