would roksan kandy k2 be good partner for the arcam fmj cd17?

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
my system conisists of b&w 685's, an arcam fmj cd17, rega brio3 amp, with atacma nexus 6 stands, and chord carnival silverscreen speaker cable and qed interconnect. i remember my dealer telling me that if i was to ever think about upgrading my kit he reccomended maybe upgrading the brio3. basically i'm very happy with the performance i get from my system but i'm intrigued to find out how if in the future i did decide to upgrade what would give me massive improvements in quality? would for example the kandy k2 be a sensible upgrade for my system? im basically happy with the arcam and the 685's so i dont plan on upgrading those.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a bit needy to start nagging for an answer less than two hours in (let alone on a day when most people are still on hols!)
emotion-42.gif

Still, i'd say the answer lies in which way you want your system to sound. The Kandy would certainly liven up proceedings, and drive your B&Ws beautifully. However, if you want a more mellow listen - to match the measured tones of your Arcam - then you may want to look elsewhere.

Personally I think you could do better than the Brio 3 (great though it is) with the B&Ws - don't think it's got quite enough low-end grunt to drive them to the best of their abiltiies.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
would the kandy k2 partnered with the arcam give me more low end grunt then? because to me thats the one thing my system lacks, although i'm not an expert
emotion-10.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gooner26:would the kandy k2 partnered with the arcam give me more low end grunt then? because to me thats the one thing my system lacks, although i'm not an expert
emotion-10.gif

We commented on the Brio 3's slight low-end shortcomings in our review - no such issues with the Kandy, which should give you an improvement all-round. Have an audition!

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:I thought the Roksan was very sweet and mellow, high'ish power aside. To much so? Also try Denon PMA1500AE, a great amplifier.

Don't want to hijack this thread but would you say that the Denon amp is a good match for the 685's? I am currently thinking at the Marantz PM7003. Some say that Denon and B&W don't go well together.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gooner26:will do. i always got the impression thge k2's would be overkill fot the 685's?

Not at all - one of the great things about the B&W 685s is their flexibility: they sounding cracking, for example, on the end of a budget combo like the Marantz CD6002/PM6002, but then step up a gear as you drive them harder.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Audiofoolius:
drummerman:I thought the Roksan was very sweet and mellow, high'ish power aside. To much so? Also try Denon PMA1500AE, a great amplifier.

Don't want to hijack this thread but would you say that the Denon amp is a good match for the 685's? I am currently thinking at the Marantz PM7003. Some say that Denon and B&W don't go well together.

I'd guess yes though I have not tried them together. The Denon has great bass and is lively. Where the Marantz is more open and 'tube like' (it's actually just a bit more smeared/less focused) the former is clearer and more architectural sounding. Just depends which version you prefer. Try if you can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts