would it be worthwile for me to get a DAC?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

am new to hifi and have acquired older components ... Pioneer A400 amp, Marantz CD63 MKII sig, B&W DM2 speakers (1st version, 3 way transmissions)

been reading the forums, and have noticed that many use a DAC (never heard of this till reading the forum) ... I have noted that the Beresford DAC gets good reviews and is fairly cheap .... would the DAC make a big difference to my existing equipment? ... sorry for my ignorance

am also looking closely at a squeezebox (which I also never heard of)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It is handy to have one anyway whether you use the CD player through it or not.

You could plug in a USB lead between your PC/laptop and the DAC* to enjoy good quality sound from iTunes, BBC iPlayer, internet radio, Last FM, Spotify etc etc.

You could run an optical cable to your Freeview source (DVD recorder or Freeview box or Virgin box or whatever you use) and get excellent quality Freeview Radio.

That would still leave you a digital co-ax connection to try out with your CD63 Mk II player. It might improve the sound. (I don't know how good the DAC built in to the CD63 MKII Sig is compared to a more modern external DAC.)

Oh, and the Beresford has a pretty good headphone amp built in too. Could be useful for you

(* I am talking about the Beresford TC-7520 model which has optical, USB and digital co-ax inputs.)

A

Anonymous

thanks Chebby ... as far as I understand, if I get a squuezebox and DAC, all music from my pc will be then work through the squeezebox, then connected to the DAC which is then connected to the HIFI? ...

have not considered connecting the tv yet, as the hifi is in a spare room without a tv (yet) but will definately look closer at this

does a dac make a big difference to sound quality when connected to a cd player?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:
Hi

am new to hifi and have acquired older components ... Pioneer A400 amp, Marantz CD63 MKII sig, B&W DM2 speakers (1st version, 3 way transmissions)

been reading the forums, and have noticed that many use a DAC (never heard of this till reading the forum) ... I have noted that the Beresford DAC gets good reviews and is fairly cheap .... would the DAC make a big difference to my existing equipment? ... sorry for my ignorance

am also looking closely at a squeezebox (which I also never heard of)

I would upgrade your amp first before worrying about the source.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:does a dac make a big difference to sound quality when connected to a cd player?

Depends on the DAC which is in the CD player. The Marantz is an excellent CD player (I also have one) and I'd be surprised if the Beresford improves on it, though it's impossible to say until you try it. However, I wouldn't buy one specifically for the CD player in your case - instead if you do decide to get one it should be for the reasons Chebby has outlined - then at the same time you can give the Marantz a go through it and see what you think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts