worth upgrading Cyrus CD7 to CD8x?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade?

I was thinking about adding the PSXR power supply (£400?) to my CD7, however have just seen the CD8x reduced to £699; would the latter be a better buy?

Alternatively, are there still upgradeability (as opposed to replacement) options for my CD7 given that it has been discontinued for a few years?

Rest of system is Cyrus pre X vs/Smartpower Plus, currently with (auditioning) Tannoy Eyris 2 speakers?

Any comments welcome. Ta.

A

Anonymous

The CD7 is a good player and you may not prefer the upgrade to the CD8x. The CD8x is being reduced in price for good reason, CYRUS are going to release a new generation of players, currently scheduled for March 2008.

These new players use a dedicated CD mechanism designed by CYRUS which apparently, is much better for playing music. You can find more info here about the new SE players here. http://www.cyrusaudio.com/content.asp?ContentID=101

I'm not sure if you realise but CYRUS can upgrade older kit to the latest spec at reduced prices, I'm not sure if the CD7 can be upgraded to the SE spec though as their website doesn't mention this option. A simple phone call to CYRUS would answer that question though. Tel: 01480 410901

My advice would be to wait until the WHFSV reviews the new players, get a demo and then decide on your best upgrade route. If the CD7 isn't upgradeable, you could also try to get hold of a second hand CD8x from Ebay, approx £400-£450 and then get that upgraded for £300 when the new players become available.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ian

Some helpful options. I checked Cyrus web site and it only shows (on the archive pages) an internal dac upgrade for the CD7 (which is presumably out of date by now) but have emailed Cyrus to ask if there are other options.

I see the 8SE is dearer at £1000, but presumably there will be good prices on the 8x until the supplies run out, so no desperate hurry, and worth waiting to see what the reviews say.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

The CD8X originally retailed at £1000 so the SE really doesn't have a price increase. The second hand 8X prices are good and if decide to upgrade to the SE at a later date you should be able to get the whole lot for around £750 so only £50 more expensive than the current prices for a new 8X.

Don't worry too much about buying second hand because when CYRUS do the upgrade most of the components are replaced for the newer SE versions, so It'll be just like having a new player for £250 less.

A

Anonymous

Thank Ian

No CD8x on ebay just now, but will keep and eye out.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
After taking my time in researching and listening, I am totally believe that "Cyrus 7Q with PSX-R" is the best cd player Cyrus ever made....all imo

A

Anonymous

Thanks, that's interesting.

Mine just says CD7: is CD7Q the factory upgrade for that model?

A

Anonymous

Just got a reply to my email to Cyrus: no factory upgrades now available on the CD7...

TRENDING THREADS