Worth buying a separate DAC

David Parkes

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have an arcam a19 amp, marantz cd6003 and a denon dnp-720ae streamer and kef r100 speakers. Would I get an appreciable sound improvement with an arcam irDAC?

Or is a better solution an audio lab 8200 CD player and use the dac to decode from my streamer.

opinions please?

thanks!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
David Parkes said:
I have an arcam a19 amp, marantz cd6003 and a denon dnp-720ae streamer and kef r100 speakers. Would I get an appreciable sound improvement with an arcam irDAC?

Or is a better solution an audio lab 8200 CD player and use the dac to decode from my streamer.

opinions please?

thanks!

The Marantz CDP has an internal DAC I don't see any reason to add a dedicated DAC to your system :?

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi David.

My 2Ps worth. I bought an irDac a week ago on 14 day sale or return. It won't be going back and fully deserves it's 5 star reviews, IMHO. I have listened to a lot of kit recently both at home and in demo rooms. I thought that my 1990s Meridian CD and pre/PWR would be blown away by the latest offerings, but despite a tad more detail at the top end, I came to the conclusion that I needed to spend several thousands to beat them and that was OTT for my new £600 Dynaudios. Having tried an Mdac a while ago, I too was sceptical about adding outboard DACs, but love the sound of my rPAC. To my ears the irDAC improves the top end detail without sounding harsh or fatiguing and keeps the superb voicing and hint of warmth of the Meridian. It also improves my SBT streaming lossless, but have yet to try USB from my MBP. Well worth a trial IMHO, especially with guaranteed synergy with your A19 - you can even benefit from it's power supply in lieu of the wall wart. More controversy - the postman delivered 2 QED interconnects yesterday. The Coax from the CD bettering the freeby in the box by some margin. Much praise to the Dyns as they can certainly differentiate between subtle tweeks - like your R100s, not too shabby at their price point. Instead of spending thousands, the Dyns cost £300 after sale of B&Ws and irDAC plus cabling £550. As long as the CD transport keeps going, upgradeitus has happily run its course with very pleasing results.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
If your main source is a computer or other digital component you need a DAC . But if your main source is a CDP and you aren't statisfy from

the sound upgrade your CDP :exmark:

Don't try to improve your CDP sound by adding a DAC , by doing so you only get a mish-mash of DACs becuse the CDP already have an internal

DAC :shame:

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
If your main source is a computer or other digital component you need a DAC . But if your main source is a CDP and you aren't statisfy from

Don't try to improve your CDP sound by adding a DAC , by doing so you only get a mish-mash of DACs becuse the CDP already have an internal

Surely this is nonsense? If you take a digital feed from the CDP to an external DAC you won't have a mish mash of DACs, you will just replace the internal with the external.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
ifor said:
ISAC69 said:

Surely this is nonsense? If you take a digital feed from the CDP to an external DAC you won't have a mish mash of DACs, you will just replace the internal with the external.

What's the point to improve a CDP by adding a DAC if in the first place the CDP isn't doing a good job ? this is a stupid thing to do the only solution is to upgrade the CDP . DAC is for people that are using a main sources such as computer , ipod , streamer ,DVD act.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
ifor said:
ISAC69 said:

What's the point to improve a CDP by adding a DAC if in the first place the CDP isn't doing a good job ? this is a stupid thing to do the only solution is to upgrade the CDP . DAC is for people that are using a main sources such as computer , ipod , streamer ,DVD act.

If the new CDP has digital inputs then yes, you are right if it has a decent DAC. If an old CDP still works but has a DAC that's no longer leading edge then a separate DAC makes sense if there's a digital output to connect to. My DAC has an optical input connected to my plasma & the 2nd to my ATV. The coax is from my BDP/DVD/CD & music served off my Mac Mini via USB. My DAC feeds my power amp directly with volume being controlled by it.

busb said:
ISAC69 said:
ifor said:
ISAC69 said:

If the new CDP has digital inputs then yes, you are right if it has a decent DAC. If an old CDP still works but has a DAC that's no longer leading edge then a separate DAC makes sense if there's a digital output to connect to. My DAC has an optical input connected to my plasma & the 2nd to my ATV. The coax is from my BDP/DVD/CD & music served off my Mac Mini via USB. My DAC feeds my power amp directly with volume being controlled by it.

I think the OP's initial question is to whether buying an irdac and simply using the Marantz as a transport is going to make a vast difference.

I'd say no qualified with the fact that it might if you spent quite a lot of money on the DAC.

Agree that if that is the case and CD's are the only thing that's likely to be run through the dac then a better CD player might prove a better way to spend the money.

I'd go for the Audiolab option myself.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
David Parkes said:

opinions please?

Having just read a review of your streamer, I suppose there is something to gain with a better DAC, fed thru optical. And then you could use it for the CDP too of course. Your Audiolab option may be better still, and will probably be easier to use too. Can you try both options before deciding?

David Parkes

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Exactly the two options I am trying to decide from. Use a dac from both existing sources; streamer and cdp, or just go for audiolab and get the best of both worlds. Sounds to me like any gains I will get will be marginal? If so may be I don't splash the cash?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

:rofl: stop talking crap. A DAC is just the bit that converts a digital signal to an analogue one. It's up to you whatever you plug in to it, there's no rules that say it *has* to be a computer. In fact, using an old cd player with a new DAC is a much cheaper way of upgrading than buying an entire new cd player.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
You are talking rubish , buy a cheap DAC and you get a cheap sound :rofl: . Give me a break .

The Marantz has an internal DAC and not a bad one if this is not good for him he needs to upgrade the CDP or to buy a very good DAC that

is not cheap , the resonable option is to upgrade the CDP .

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
You are talking rubish , buy a cheap DAC and you get a cheap sound :rofl: . Give me a break .

The Marantz has an internal DAC and not a bad one if this is not good for him he needs to upgrade the CDP or to buy a very good DAC that

:help: Firstly, try reading what I wrote before you hit the reply button, otherwise you're just coming off more useless than your other posts. :roll:

Firstly, why is it rubbish to say that you can use a DAC for anything, not just computer based devices as you said?

Secondly, there are plenty of very good quality "cheap" dacs. Also, if you bothered to read what I said, I said buying an external Dac can be a cheap way to upgrade a CD player without having to buy an entire new unit. I didn't say, buy a cheap dac and put it on an expensive CD player. :roll:

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cheesboy,

Best to ignore him.

Hi David,

If you go down the CD route, from the Audiolab stable is the new Creek Evolution 50C. Released soon, is billed as a DAC with an inbuilt CD drive. If you like the Marantz "sound", I was most impressed by the SA8005 - replacement for the Pearl Lite. Very solidly constructed and made in Japan, it has the added benefit of SACD and DSD streaming capability. The irDAC continues to impress, including streamed 24/96 tracks via USB.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yet another option (!) is to replace the Amp with one that has a built in DAC. Less boxes on your shelf that way. Then everything can feed into the Amp/DAC using digital connections (optical / usb / coax).

Choices, choices!

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Yet another option (!) is to replace the Amp with one that has a built in DAC. Less boxes on your shelf that way. Then everything can feed into the Amp/DAC using digital connections (optical / usb / coax).

Choices, choices!

Before anyone jumps down my throat - the CD player would become a transport only at this point.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

But computers also have DACs already, some sound cards have very good DACs as well.

BigH said:
ISAC69 said:

But computers also have DACs already, some sound cards have very good DACs as well.

Quite so but if you are outputting from a USB port surely this bypasses all dacs / sound cards or am I completely missing the point of external DACS?

:)

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ISAC69 said:

:help: Firstly, try reading what I wrote before you hit the reply button, otherwise you're just coming off more useless than your other posts. :roll:

Firstly, why is it rubbish to say that you can use a DAC for anything, not just computer based devices as you said?

Secondly, there are plenty of very good quality "cheap" dacs. Also, if you bothered to read what I said, I said buying an external Dac can be a cheap way to upgrade a CD player without having to buy an entire new unit. I didn't say, buy a cheap dac and put it on an expensive CD player. :roll:

He is using his CDP as main source (!!!) and he is not statisfy with !!!

Why trying to fix main source CDP with a DAC ???

I made the same mistake in the past with bad results so I had to sell my DAC (almost new ) and my old CDP and upgrade to a better CDP to get the sound I wanted .

ISAC69 said:
cheeseboy said:
ISAC69 said:

He is using his CDP as main source (!!!) and he is not statisfy with !!!

Why trying to fix main source CDP with a DAC ???

I made the same mistake in the past with bad results so I had to sell my DAC (almost new ) and my old CDP and upgrade to a better CDP to get the sound I wanted .

I understand your post but just because you had a bad experience the OP may find it a viable route to take.

It is possible to upgrade the CDP to a transport and get a DAC as you are well aware but if he can audition this combo he may find it to his liking.

He is just as likely to get a duffer if he purchases a new CDP instead, if it is not auditioned.

DylanFan

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
My 25 pence worth is as to whether DAC's sound different or not - I had a Cambridge DAC Magic (with a Russ PSU) & three weeks ago replaced it with an Arcam irDAC after hearing one at a relatives - To say the Arcam is an improvement is an understatement, after faffing with Hi-Fi since I was 10 (1969) I have yet to hear anything that has caused such a musical improvement, it's not just slightly better it's a revelation.

My other half who thinks I'm mad most of the time spending money on Hi-Fi came from the lounge & said 'I can't believe Spotify could sound that good' - That's probably the first time she has ever said that she has heard an improvement unprompted. If you think all DAC's sound the same they don't - It’s pretty fashionable to say they all sound the same but to my ears the irDAC is worth each & every penny & I’m gob smacked each time I hear it.

(feel free to shoot my down but I do have a parachute)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DylanFan said:
My other half who thinks I'm mad most of the time spending money on Hi-Fi came from the lounge & said 'I can't believe Spotify could sound that good' - That's probably the first time she has ever said that she has heard an improvement unprompted.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts