Wood As An Isolation Platform?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok, I've got a problem. I've just bought a rega p3-24 with power supply and speed changer for the amazing price of £300 - clearly this is not said problem.

The hi fi unit we have to house the gear is too narrow on the top for the tt to sit so I'm going to stick a platform of some kind on it. My first thought was granite but finding the right widt is proving tough; it needs to be 47-48cm wide to sit comfortably. So then I thought about wood due to being able to cut it to size.

What kinds of wood would be best for this? A really heavy, solid lump or a lighter type? I'm totally new to high end turntables and their respose to positioning and all that so any advice would be welcomed.

A

Anonymous

The Rega wall shelf or any shelf would be best. Regas are not suspended decks so highly sensitive to position as they can be affected by the least vibration.

A

Anonymous

The wall shelf isn't an option for us cause the landlord's not keen on drilling into the wall - it's plaster and he said it just crumbles and ends up leaving a big ol hole!

So, what kinda wood we talking? Rosewood, ebony, mdf??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If it's going to be wood then use something light and rigid (the Rega ethos in their own supports) that will 'lose' energy/vibration quickly.

Logically speaking, a piece of MDF completely laminated in phenolic resin laminate (just like the deck itself) should be a good choice.

Maybe a visit to the local kitchen outfitters will turn up something of suitable dimensions that is rigid, perfectly flat and pleasingly finished.

Ensure there some way to make the platform perfectly level. (Adjustable spikes on your equipment support's legs will take care of this).

Solid timber can warp so if you are making this yourself look for something like ply (not too thin obviously) or 1/2" MDF (veneered both sides).

5mm toughened glass would be OK if you have a glass shop nearby who can cut it to size and finish the edges and radius the corners.

[Edit] When you say 'hifi unit' do you mean a rigid welded metal rack type unit with adjustable spiked feet or something that wobbles and flexes and has no means of levelling?

A

Anonymous

Good suggestions, cheers! With the Rega's rubber feet - -is it worth swapping these for some adjustable ones? If so, any recommendations?

Cheers guys, nice to get quick responses
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
amnesiak:Good suggestions, cheers! With the Rega's rubber feet - -is it worth swapping these for some adjustable ones? If so, any recommendations?

Leave the Rega's feet alone. They are fine. I mean adjustable feet on the bottom of the rack/support. Even if they are not spikes you can get threaded adjustable feet with bushes in B&Q and fit them on the unit. (Not the turntable.)

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
If you have a dreaded Ikea near you pick up a Lack Coffee table, they are about 55 cm square. The top is a laminate of some type, but the inside is like a big egg tray, made from shaped carboard or similar. It makes a good turntable support, Chuck the legs away, and just use the top. My P25 sounded fine on one for quite some time. I think they are less than a tenner.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

If it's going to be wood then use something light and rigid (the Rega ethos in their own supports) that will 'lose' energy/vibration quickly.

Logically speaking, a piece of MDF completely laminated in phenolic resin laminate (just like the deck itself) should be a good choice.

Maybe a visit to the local kitchen outfitters will turn up something of suitable dimensions that is rigid, perfectly flat and pleasingly finished.

Ensure there some way to make the platform perfectly level. (Adjustable spikes on your equipment support's legs will take care of this).

Solid timber can warp so if you are making this yourself look for something like ply (not too thin obviously) or 1/2" MDF (veneered both sides).

5mm toughened glass would be OK if you have a glass shop nearby who can cut it to size and finish the edges and radius the corners.

[Edit] When you say 'hifi unit' do you mean a rigid welded metal rack type unit with adjustable spiked feet or something that wobbles and flexes and has no means of levelling?

Toughened safety glass has to be cut and finished before it is fired to make it safety glass and even after that it is still quite fragile, think an old bus shelter, you would be better going down the worktop, offcut route.

A

Anonymous

The existing unit Ive got at the moment is one we inherited from the last tennants - it's a little flimsy, no way of levelling it but basically it'll do the job I'm sure. It as shelves for the CD player and amp etc and some nice dividers at the bottom for the vinyl.

To level the tt I'll do as suggested but adjusting the platform - was thinking of using blu tac to fix the top of the unit and using varying amounts to set the level. If that doesn't work (maybe the blue tac will all just compress to the same amount?) then I'll buyu some spikes that I can set the height of.

All goo d though, I just picked up an Elys 2, brand new in box and never played for £50 from fleabay!! Seemed to have been bloody lucky with the prices on the whole set up so far
emotion-2.gif

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Unwanted energy/resonance is normally absorbed or transferred. If the unit it is currently on is flimsy then transfer is impossible so you need to add some mass for stability and energy absorbtion. MDF will probably work best but you may also find granite would suit. However, there are so many variables that only trial and error will confirm which is best.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you are anywhere near London then grab this as soon as you can for £42.50 (Pick up item only.)

[Edit. Just noticed the seller is away until September.]

Anyway. Look out for similar turntable tables from Sound Organistion or Target or Apollo on ebay. They come up now and then.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the heads up Chebby but no car! I'm in Brighton so pretty close (but no cigar
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the heads up Chebby but no car! I'm in Brighton so pretty close (but no cigar
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

emotion-5.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts