RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Duly Noted
smiley-smile.gif

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
All of the major supermarkets deploy the usual trick of marking up wines that have no business being sold for circa £8 to £10 a bottle then marking them down to create the illusion the customer is getting a bargain.

Articles from many wine writers, particularly Tim Atkin, suggest the supermarkets are leading us down a blind alley in terms of wine quality/price. Apparently there are a significant amout of wine producers who don't even bother with the UK market as they wouldn't be able to turn a reasonable profit due to the supermarket's pricing structure.

If you believe a fiver for a bottle of Wolf Blass represents a bargain then happy shopping, personally I'd rather up my budget by a few pound and go for something a little more interesting. Unless you have a time machine you're never going to get back the time spent drinking bland, mediocre, mass market wine.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
scissor digits - agree with you - its priced high and then discounted to give impression of a bargain.

Although for everyday drinking and people who aren't really snobbish about wine -wolf blass is excellent value. Asda also have it for a fiver. Their president selection is also worth a punt.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Scissor_digits said:
All of the major supermarkets deploy the usual trick of marking up wines that have no business being sold for circa £8 to £10 a bottle then marking them down to create the illusion the customer is getting a bargain.

Articles from many wine writers, particularly Tim Atkin, suggest the supermarkets are leading us down a blind alley in terms of wine quality/price. Apparently there are a significant amout of wine producers who don't even bother with the UK market as they wouldn't be able to turn a reasonable profit due to the supermarket's pricing structure.

If you believe a fiver for a bottle of Wolf Blass represents a bargain then happy shopping, personally I'd rather up my budget by a few pound and go for something a little more interesting. Unless you have a time machine you're never going to get back the time spent drinking bland, mediocre, mass market wine.
Whereas I agree with the general principle of your first para about supermarkets,I only posted this because it is generally about the £8/9 mark except for a couple of "websites" where it is allegedly nearly £6 or £7.So it still represents good value and is very drinkable. I mostly pay £4/5 for normal drinking wine and this Wolf tops a lot of them.

As for your last para,not really necessary.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, last para was maybe a little OTT. Just trying to make the point that if you set your budget slightly higher than a fiver you will get much more interesting wines

A

Anonymous

Dave, nice to see you enjoying a drop or 2. Thanks for the heads up - i like a bit of Wolf! Martin

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
MartSmith said:
Dave, nice to see you enjoying a drop or 2. Thanks for the heads up - i like a bit of Wolf! Martin
Hope you are well Martin- dropped into Morrisons to stock up and the deal has ended there.

There now doing a Hardy's Crest for a fiver but that is nowhere near as good and deffo not worth the alleged original tenner.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Having recently drunk Blossom hill and Sainsburys basic red (just don't), the Wolf Blass is clearly a long way from the bottom of the pack and a real bargain for £5 and as you say much nicer than Crest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts