Wobbly ProAc D18s

SteveR750

I have had the D18s now for around 5-6 weeks, and they are surely burnt in as is the M2, they have been left on continuous play for days when I was at work; for sure I canot hear any change in sound over the last week. truth is I miss the smoothness and staging of the spennies; the 'Acs have a great forward sound that bounds along, but when you turn it up as I fo often I find them getting shouty, where the soens just got louder. At low/med vols the D18s sound "better", but at more lifelike levels they seem to fall apart a bit.

It's not the M2 if only because it was driving the spens for a week before I sold them. I'm tempted to swap out the 18s for A6.

Now before I do all that, I have noticed that the 'Acs wobble like mad on their spikes. The spens on the other hand were rock solid. Now I had a similar expoerience a few years ago with a pair of standmount B&W DM602 S3: on my 1986 apollo stand they were great, on atacamas pants, so back to the apollos where they were much more rigid. The spens felt planted, whereas the proacs wobble a bit: same floor set up, both on native spikes.

Any ideas?

Otherwise here comes an A6 trade.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It looks increasingly likely that you prefer the match with Spendor, and the A6 should be a happy medium.

Your other option is to try a Sugden, which is a great match with Proac...or try a better/smoother source, as the Dacmagic could be adding to the problem.

Once synergy is lost, it can take bit of trial and error to get it back.

A

Anonymous

Go for the A6s, they're a better balanced speaker. I thoroughly enjoyed them on a Roksan K2 amp and they have a better bass and treble than the Proacs. The tweeter on the A6 is far from dull but it doesn't get nasty!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Moving on so soon from the D18's...... perhaps you just like the Spendor sound. I don't really think there's an excuse for an £1800 speaker being wobbly. I know chairs that cost £20 that don't wobble .

matthewpiano

I think if you like the Spendor sound there isn't much else that will hit the spot. Their composure across the volume range is really very impressive and the ones I've heard have been perfect speakers for long listening sessions. 'Shouty' speakers are great for a few tracks but after that....

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I think if you like the Spendor sound there isn't much else that will hit the spot. Their composure across the volume range is really very impressive and the ones I've heard have been perfect speakers for long listening sessions. 'Shouty' speakers are great for a few tracks but after that....

indeed, I have always liked the SA1's presentation whenever I've heard them, I can imagine they do well for people that listen for hours.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Your thoughts pretty much reflect what I found with the D18s, things just weren't terribly cohesive at realistic volume levels. I put this down to an inaccurate and slightly pedestrian mid to upper bass, which has a knock on effect on the midrange. The wobbling spikes is annoying and if corrected might sharpen things up a bit, but I don't think will change the overall presentation. I have heard the A9s and was very impressed. Assuming the A6s have a similar presentation and you like the Spendor sound I can see them doing a very good job for you. If you fancy something a little less smooth and a little more precise, ATC SCM40s would be worth a listen, but then I would say that ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Steve - do you have the 'cone' spikes? Are they tightened up properly? I know that's a silly question, but if they're tightened up properly, and they're wobbling, either the spikes need adjusting, or they've been moved in a way that has loosened the threaded insert into which the cone is screwed.

SteveR750

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Steve - do you have the 'cone' spikes? Are they tightened up properly? I know that's a silly question, but if they're tightened up properly, and they're wobbling, either the spikes need adjusting, or they've been moved in a way that has loosened the threaded insert into which the cone is screwed.

They are not all screwed up tight because the floor isn't flat underneath. I did try them on granite slabs, but with all 4 cones screwed in tight they were not quite level, though we are talking mms here. It all feels a bit shoddy compared to Spendors machined from solid billet feel, which I knew was good when I owned them, and realise even more so now.

I'm sure if they were more solidly planted the top end would snap into focus and smoothen out. I'm pretty sure now I would prefer the A6, so lomng as the bass was more defined: to ber fair to the D18s they have a slightly more extended bass to the S6e, and its more tuneful, but only up to moderate levels. Where the Spens woke up when you wound them up, the D18s go to pieces slightly. We are talking marginal changes, but it's the difference between grinning and grimacing.

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
It looks increasingly likely that you prefer the match with Spendor, and the A6 should be a happy medium.

Your other option is to try a Sugden, which is a great match with Proac...or try a better/smoother source, as the Dacmagic could be adding to the problem.

but I am in total Roksan love with the M2. It's an awesome pice of metal so it's not going to be changed.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ProAc have recently changed the spikes on some models, and are no longer using the cones (which look nicer), choosing to go with a very thin, very sharp, piercing looking spike, which makes a huge difference with regards to how they sit. As long as none of the inserts are loose (if so, get your dealer to get a replacement base), see if your dealer can get a set of the new spikes for you. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you've not long bought them.

I would also play about with placement and angles to make sure it's not a placement issue.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

but I am in total Roksan love with the M2. It's an awesome pice of metal so it's not going to be changed.

Quite understandable, which is why I commented on other options.....I always like to offer alternative suggestions and plant seeds. :)

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:

Quite understandable, which is why I commented on other options.....I always like to offer alternative suggestions and plant seeds. :)

Yes very sneaky!

@David, they are the cones, not sharp spikes. Unfortunately I biught them from Sight & Sound UK who are no longer trading. I'll see how they are after I have moved house, but I'm not convinced they are keepers.

EDIT - So if anyone is interested in trading a pair of very nice A6s for some very nice D18s then you have my attention!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts