Wish you were here

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have this album on LP but my turntable is no longer working so I woukd like to buy the cd. Rather confused by all the different versions and reviews, which one should I go for some say the 1994 edition is fine, some say the 2011 Experience edition is the one to buy? :help:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't have WYWH but I do have the 1994 issue of The Wall and imo it's stunning. Not sure how representative that is, because I have a late-80s DSotM and the 2011 Experience remaster and IMO they're both poor compared the LP. In fact as I've said before, I have a hunch the 2011 DSotM remaster was not created directly from the original analogue master tape.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the 1994 CD and the recent SACD. The SACD is expensive, but IF you have an SACD player (most decent modern blu--ray players will do) it is worth it, particularly in 5:1

manicm

With the 2012 remaster you can hear the sound effects right at the beginning more clearly. But I actually think the 1994 master sounds more dynamic overall. DSOTM and Animals, especially the latter, are definite improvements I'd say.

My main gripe is the 2012 packaging and artwork - just apalling and offensive. I was hoping DSOTM had the original vinyl artwork but alas, Storm Thorgeson thinks he can improve on perfection. He also chooses not to retain the original lyric fonts - again he thinks he's so right.

Frankly, even on the deluxe versions the packaging is cheap and nasty. After all, the artwork is such a vital part of Pink Floyd albums. Disgusting.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have the discovery versions of DSOTM, The Wall and WYWH on CD and they sound fantastic through my Rega boxes and sound very analogue but that's the Regas signature.

My dad had all the floyd albums on vinyl in the loft...... Think I will have to wait until be lleaves this mortal coil for them to be mine!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hammill said:
I have the 1994 CD and the recent SACD. The SACD is expensive, but IF you have an SACD player (most decent modern blu--ray players will do) it is worth it, particularly in 5:1

Thanks but I don't have an SACD player. I may be getting a blu-ray dvd player soon but it will stereo, so I don't think the 5.1 will be much use.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
manicm said:
With the 2012 remaster you can hear the sound effects right at the beginning more clearly. But I actually think the 1994 master sounds more dynamic overall. DSOTM and Animals, especially the latter, are definite improvements I'd say.

My main gripe is the 2012 packaging and artwork - just apalling and offensive. I was hoping DSOTM had the original vinyl artwork but alas, Storm Thorgeson thinks he can improve on perfection. He also chooses not to retain the original lyric fonts - again he thinks he's so right.

Frankly, even on the deluxe versions the packaging is cheap and nasty. After all, the artwork is such a vital part of Pink Floyd albums. Disgusting.
Yeah...who does that Storm guy think he is....? :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts