wireless vs bluetooth

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking about putting a couple speakers in my kitchen, but it is a long way from where my hi fi is setup. I would like to do this wirelessly, but not really sure where to start. I though that it could be done over my home wifi, but a friend mentioned that bluetooth could be an option. What kind of options do I have?

I have a Cambridge Audio 550a with Monitor Audio BR2s.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Really, it depends entirely on the source of music you want to play in the kitchen. If it's from iTunes, an Airport Express with some powered / active speakers will do the job. Ditto if from an iPhone / newer iPod Touch / iPad with the iOS 4.2 upgrade you can stream direct from that to the AE.

If, however, you're talking about playing anything which is playing through your current hi-fi also in the kitchen as well then I'm not sure how this could be done to be honest.

EDIT - yes I do, through the Sonos ZonePlayer 90 from the looks of it.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:is your main hifi connected to the network, ie. pc based? if so, i think an apple airport express would do.

indeed ..... to some good powered speakers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:
Really, it depends entirely on the source of music you want to play in the kitchen. If it's from iTunes, an Airport Express with some powered / active speakers will do the job. Ditto if from an iPhone / newer iPod Touch / iPad with the iOS 4.2 upgrade you can stream direct from that to the AE.

If, however, you're talking about playing anything which is playing through your current hi-fi also in the kitchen as well then I'm not sure how this could be done to be honest.

I'm not sure how, if he's talking about using the MA BR2s in the kitchen he'll need a ZP120, but that still won't sync to what the hi-fi is playing (CD for example), unless the hi-fi is being sourced by a ZP90 and you group the zones but that's an expensive and somewhat unwieldy solution...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:professorhat:

I'm not sure how, if he's talking about using the MA BR2s in the kitchen he'll need a ZP120, but that still won't sync to what the hi-fi is playing (CD for example), unless the hi-fi is being sourced by a ZP90 and you group the zones but that's an expensive and somewhat unwieldy solution...

Indeed, that's what I was thinking, although it's not clear if the BR2s are for the kitchen or if they are currently part of the living room system with the CA amp and the kitchen needs new speakers.

The Sonos route is indeed expensive and unwieldy, but I can't think of another way of getting whatever is playing on CA amp in the living room into the kitchen as well personally. Unless we're talking about my first point, in which case the Airport Express with powered / active speakers is the better option.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:the_lhc:professorhat:

Indeed, that's what I was thinking, although it's not clear if the BR2s are for the kitchen or if they are currently part of the living room system with the CA amp and the kitchen needs new speakers.

True, true, although if the MAs are staying connected to the hi-fi they're basically irrelevant anyway.

The Sonos route is indeed expensive and unwieldy, but I can't think of another way of getting whatever is playing on CA amp in the living room into the kitchen as well personally.

No, although I might be inclined to go for an S5 in the kitchen, discreet, all-in-one unit and costs 50 quid less than the ZP120 (for no apparent reason that I can determine...).

Unless we're talking about my first point, in which case the Airport Express with powered / active speakers is the better option.

How does the hi-fi communicate with the AE (I don't know much about them)?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In the last point, the hi-fi isn't involved. Essentially, if the source is iTunes (or iPhone etc.), this talks directly to the Airport Express via the wireless network and then the powered / active speakers handle the amplification. So it's an option depending on the source of the music.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
In the last point, the hi-fi isn't involved. Essentially, if the source is iTunes (or iPhone etc.), this talks directly to the Airport Express via the wireless network and then the powered / active speakers handle the amplification. So it's an option depending on the source of the music.

so any ideas on the future ? re my other thread,,,,,cheers for the info on extending my wireless network the other day

A

Anonymous

I wasn't very clear, sorry. I currenty have the CA amp and the MA speakers in my room with a mac book pro as the music source (possibly going to get the mac mini so I can use my laptop at my desk). I was wondering if it was worth connecting to the hi fi via some wireless connection or some other option...

TRENDING THREADS