Wireless Repeater

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hopefully someone can help me here. My wireless router (Edimax N router) works great, but the signal into the conservatory is weak at best (router is placed at the front of the house - no option to move it unfortunately), and the Airport Express in the conservatory sometimes fails to connect, so I can't stream music to it.

So i bought an Edimax repeater, and thought I'd set it up correctly. I was getting a good signal in the conservatory, and the airport express was able to connect no problem. But the AE keeps disappearing after half an hour or so of play. It just can't be found by iTunes or my Apple TV (1st gen), and only works again if I restart it. After doing some tests, I've narrowed it down to the repeater.

Have I set it up correctly? I gave it the same SSID as the main router, IP address is outside the DHCP range of the router, and it's positioned comfortably within range of the router.

Should the SSID be the same? And if not, can I stream music from the ATV and itunes to the AE, if they are connected to the router and the AE to the repeater?

Sorry, that sounds like quite a long winded question. Can anyone help?

Thanks

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
just done a similar thing myself and the bro-in-law who helped (IT supplier to schools) advised using a different SSID so one is, e.g. FRED and the other is FRED1.

Doubtless there will be other posters, who do this for a living, who will confirm or refute this. Works for me

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Ok, cool, thanks. And are you able to stream from one device connected to FRED, to one connected to FRED1?

I did wonder if the router and repeater with the same SSIDs were interfering with each other in some way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts