Wireless Range Extender?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I hope I have posted this in the right place, its not strictly hifi related.

Currently at home we use an orange livebox as the wifi hub/centre( whatever you call it :p). It has largely been a good thing to use, but the only problem is the range of the wifi signal. It covers most of the house except for the far corner which conveniently contains my bedroom, where I spend a lot of time on my computer and listening to my hifi system,I get about 30% signal which makes progress very slow!

So my question is do I just buy a range extender? I really wouldn't know how to set it up or where to put it or anything as Im not great with wireless technology.

Any advice guys?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, would probably help. I'd place it wherever is the furthest point from the router (in the direction of your bedroom) where you get decent signal.

A

Anonymous

I have tried a range extender, specifically a Hawking one. It's not so much an extender but a relaying device, i.e. it receives signals from your existing wifi signal and re-transmits on a different SSID. It was difficult to set up, as many have found but worked once this was done. It did extend the range but was not spectacular. I have recently changed my router to a Draytek Vigor 2800n. This is an 802.11N device, and although it's more expensive than most, I have full coverage all around the house and even at the top of the garden. I run three airport expresses from it( two N types and one G type), with no drop-outs and no synch problems. Not even the microwave oven stops it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts