Will the glass platter from a Rega P3 fit on a RP1?

I am pretty sure it will. You'd have to check thickness of each.

Not sure why you would want to fit one though as I thought the resin platter of the RP1 was supposed to be better than the glass one on the Planar 3. (Which is why most many owners of Planar 3's replace them with aftermarket acrylic versions). :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:

Not sure why you would want to fit one though as I thought the resin platter of the RP1 was supposed to be better than the glass one on the Planar 3. (Which is why most many owners of Planar 3's replace them with aftermarket acrylic versions). :)

As you know Alears, I've been working on my Rega for a long time, most of it when reported, one was laughed at as a tweaking excentric. I changed the sub platter to a metal one, damped it and isolated the glass plater with mini hard rubber stand-offs, worked better than the acrylic that I tried. Since then I have incorporated a new wafer thin acylic platter, that, its self, sits isolated above the glass platter, the glass now working as nothing more than a rigid flywheel.

Prior to this, I still found the glass platter had far more musical life than the thick acrylic, the glass platter has a 'real life in the sound' IMHO. I believe the secret is the isolation from the bearing and sub platter. There is more to it than this but thats part of the stoy behind some of my recent hifi exocentrics . . . :cheers:

I have gone even further in recent weeks, freeing up 'music' from the TT and system I neaver believed possible.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
I was just wondering why the OP would want to make the change.

I'd like to know the answer to the OP's question . . . 'why he wants to change'?

. . . :? we all (most?) want more from our systems, knowing where to get it, thats the trick. In truth, its often trial and error with a bit of educated guessing thrown in. This leads to better??? . . . but this is not so good??? . . . more guessing, the inevitable round and round and . . . we see it so often, disapearing down the 'hole of frustration' in the middle :read:

CJSF

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
The OP, which is me:) , likes the look of the glass and i think it does help a bit in the foundation of the sound, at least in my system anyway. Different folks at Sound Org had their own opinions, some pro and some con, but a number of actual users of the RP1 have done the switch and really like it... so i went for it.

Now if i could find a Union Jack here in the states at a reasonable price:bounce:

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi CJSF,

How wafer thin is wafer thin?

James

CJSF said:
Alears said:

As you know Alears, I've been working on my Rega for a long time, most of it when reported, one was laughed at as a tweaking excentric. I changed the sub platter to a metal one, damped it and isolated the glass plater with mini hard rubber stand-offs, worked better than the acrylic that I tried. Since then I have incorporated a new wafer thin acylic platter, that, its self, sits isolated above the glass platter, the glass now working as nothing more than a rigid flywheel.

Prior to this, I still found the glass platter had far more musical life than the thick acrylic, the glass platter has a 'real life in the sound' IMHO. I believe the secret is the isolation from the bearing and sub platter. There is more to it than this but thats part of the stoy behind some of my recent hifi exocentrics . . . :cheers:

I have gone even further in recent weeks, freeing up 'music' from the TT and system I neaver believed possible.

CJSF

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, went and swapped the platters and so far all is well. Just a little finger push to get it going and it works fine. Sound seems a little more full, especially in the bass. Keeping my fingers crossed although even if the motor does go bonkers i can get a brand new replacement for only $10 so to me that's a worthwhile tradeoff if needed :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts