Will sound the Cambridge dac Magic better then the Mission Dac5.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My Mission Dac5 is a old machine in the same price class, ( 400 pounds).

Should i buy dac magic instandley for my new cyrus 8 v2.

Or am i acting stupid ? or are there better d/a converters for the job?

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
Do you have a budget for the upgrade? There are plenty of 'better' options, but these may also be significantly more expensive! Is this as an upgrade to your CDP or have you got PC based music?

A

Anonymous

I use it for sdif computer connection, or it could be a cd player.

Budjet, i dont know.

It must match the quality of the cyrus amp.

I wont pay a 2000 euro's for a dacx or xp for a amp of 1400 euro without the psx-r.

If there is a mutch better convertrer i would pay some 200 more for it but it must be worth it.

Its to crazy to pay a thousend more if the effect of better quality is to less.

The converter must be better than the mission dac5 for sure, but paying thousends of euro's for it is crazy doing.

If a amp is 1400 euro, then a player for it should cost not more then that, 1000 or so, if i only have the converter of it then the price must be half, 500 or so.

It al must be in proportion.

More expensive loudspeakers for a 1400 euro amp sounds reasoneble, because thats the most important factor in sound reproduction.

I bought in those days the cyrus two together with this dac, and it was also a winner those days.

What will match in these days a cyrus 8 v2.

I wont pay thousends for a exotic brand and there are a lot of.

Like for that money i am infesting in the company itself because they wont sell there products, all exclusive special made.

A good company will sell there producs because they are good, and the price will be lower.

Whats quality ?

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid i don't know enough about the dac5 to offer you an opinion on whether it is better or worse than the dacmagic, but with a budget of 500 euros I think in todays marketplace the dacmagic is the best option currently available. could you arrange a demo in store or at home to try the dacmagic out?

A

Anonymous

I used to have a DAC5 (along with the transport that went with it) several years ago. Sold it on because it really wasn't up to much even back then... clean sounding but a little bit threadbare, without that much body. At that time a Micromega Stage 6 easily beat the combo. Having said that I don't necessarily think the DAC Magic is as good as many have maade it out to be. Suspect you might find it a bit lifeless.

John Duncan

Well the DACMagic is by no means threadbare or lifeless, it's just neutral. There are better DACs out there, no doubt, but for £200 it's a bit of a bargain, I'd say. Whether or not it's better than a DAC5 I have no idea.

A

Anonymous

I feel in some way the discussion is starting about sound colouring of a dac.

The sound must be neutral for sure, but does "body" in sound reproducing means a more realistic sound image, or a more analoge sound ?

The sound must have a high contrast, low distorsions, a wide stereo image, and lot of dynamics ( diference between loud pasages and silent noices )

If its possible i wil try the dac magic if they have it in store right here.

What brands make dac's that wil sound better for a bit more infestment ?

I hope someone has insite in trying multiple converters.

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I think a significant increase in performance from the DACmagic will lead to a bit of a price hike to something like the stello DA100 signature which would (i guess) be around 750-800 euro. Alternatively you could consider the second hand market?

A

Anonymous

mikeinbrum:I think a significant increase in performance from the DACmagic will lead to a bit of a price hike to something like the stello DA100 signature which would (i guess) be around 750-800 euro. Alternatively you could consider the second hand market?

You think the stello da100 will sound a lot better ?
And in what way better, is it worth the infestment, its 2 times more expensive.
I am lissening right now to the dac magic, my dealer had it in stock, heheheheheh.
Its sounds better than my old mission, you are right.
The sound is more clear, letterly my dac5 sounds dirty in some way.
More bright and the bass is more stable.
The minimumfase filter sounds best, who could hear the diference i think.
I will search out further, thanks for your advive.

A

Anonymous

In the meanwhile i am spitting into the info about dac's

I found also the CI VDA 2 D?A converter.

It must sound also very great for a very good price.

All other dac's cost lots more in the same quality range.

Who has info about this converter

A

Anonymous

In the meanwhile i whas lissening to the dac magic( star wars movie )
I totally turm around with my opnion.
The dac magic sounds clearer and has less distorsion, but the mission dac5 sounds more natural.
It has more acoustic depth, more liveness, is more spacious in sound reproduction.
Its more worth to me that it sounds natural and warm.
The sound of the dac magic is to flat, no depth, acoustic harmony, but it has less distorcion.

The CI VDA 2 must sounds a lot more like the mission dac5, thats what i readed in artikels, revieuws.

A

Anonymous

How long have you played the DacMagic for. Mine improved significantly throughout the first ~50 hours playing.

A

Anonymous

Hugh_:How long have you played the DacMagic for. Mine improved significantly throughout the first ~50 hours playing.

Thats possible, but the diference is to great for it, it will never be that sound.
It played some hours, but you are right.
A pitty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts