Will just Receiver or Amplifier work?

zetu

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to have some suggession on hom audio system. I don't any knowledge at all in hi-fi system. But i love music. My question is will just a good AV Receiver and speakers be enough to listen music which are mostly stored in my laptop. If yes than what would be the best suggestion for a budget of maximum £500. It is also worht buying CD players as well even though i don't have that many CDs.

Hope my questions are clear enough. :)

Many thanks.

jjbomber

zetu said:
Hi,

I would like to have some suggession on home audio system. I don't any knowledge at all in hi-fi system. But i love music. My question is will just a good AV Receiver and speakers be enough to listen music which are mostly stored in my laptop. If yes than what would be the best suggestion for a budget of maximum £500. It is also worht buying CD players as well even though i don't have that many CDs.

Hope my questions are clear enough. :)

Many thanks.

Yes, they will be fine for music. Try the Yamaha RX-V375 9£250) as a starter AV amp. Did you want stereo speakers to start with and work up to a full blown 5.1 system? I am not sure why you want an AV amp to listen to stereo but it is your choice.

You can use your laptop as a CD transport. Connect a Turtle Beach Micro II (£20) to the USB out and an optical cable from the Turtle Beach Micro II to the optical input of the Yamaha.

zetu

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

It is not that I want the AV amp. I simply don't know. I mean I have seen those pre-amp, power amps and cd players and so on and very much like the ear-pleasing music coming out of those sound system. I checked thier price and it is more than £1000 so way beyond my scope.

I want something simple but good enough to produce good quality sound (not neccesary need to be loud since my flat is quite small but definitely would produce good bass sound as well as some clear crispy sound :) ). Like i said I would not want a cd player which I would mostly not use. So if you could suggest me any package or system (may be just buy a good pair of speakers etc) I would really appreciate it. I've also looked at the products that you guys have suggested. I certainly can afford them. The next question with them would be what speaker to use. There are some again that i have seen such as definitive techonology studio monitor ect (45 ,55 which I think i can afford) or some other really cheap ones. Just would like to nkkow you guys' opinions on them since you have more experiences than me.

Many many thanks.

matthewpiano

If you don't own many CDs and don't plan to buy many more, why waste money on a player?

In your position I'd be looking seriously at active speakers with a DAC/pre-amp. You don't state your speaker budget but there are plenty of interesting options out there from the likes of Yamaha, Genelec, Adam, and AVI. If you only want stereo and don't really have any Home Cinema plans then the active route makes much more sense to me.

If you want something more traditional then no other product makes more sense than the Yamaha R-N500 which combines a healthy range of the facilities you need with the extremely competent audio from the A-S500 amp.

3rd and final option from me - the Marantz M-CR610. This is a great little unit and even incorporates a CD drive!

Speakers for the non-active options? I'd recommend Dali Zensor 1 or 3, Q Acoustics 2010i, QA 2020i, or QA Concept 20. All talented and (importantly) involving small speakers. I'd also want to hear the very interesting looking Kralk Audio BC30 speakers, but as I haven't heard these (yet) I can only suggest them as an interesting option at this stage.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
If you don't own many CDs and don't plan to buy many more, why waste money on a player?

In your position I'd be looking seriously at active speakers with a DAC/pre-amp. You don't state your speaker budget but there are plenty of interesting options out there from the likes of Yamaha, Genelec, Adam, and AVI. If you only want stereo and don't really have any Home Cinema plans then the active route makes much more sense to me.

If you want something more traditional then no other product makes more sense than the Yamaha R-N500 which combines a healthy range of the facilities you need with the extremely competent audio from the A-S500 amp.

3rd and final option from me - the Marantz M-CR610. This is a great little unit and even incorporates a CD drive!

Speakers for the non-active options? I'd recommend Dali Zensor 1 or 3, Q Acoustics 2010i, QA 2020i, or QA Concept 20. All talented and (importantly) involving small speakers. I'd also want to hear the very interesting looking Kralk Audio BC30 speakers, but as I haven't heard these (yet) I can only suggest them as an interesting option at this stage.

In addition to Matthew's thoughts, if the Marantz is pushing the budget too much and you can live without a CD drive, you could consider the Marantz M-CR510 which can be had for around £250 which would leave a larger amount for speakers and stands. (You will need stands with any of the above speakers, so you need to budget for them. WIthout speaker stands, you won't be hearing your system to its full potential). All you would need to do then is rip the remaining CD's you have to your laptop.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I suggest Sony STR-DB930 . :wave:

Indeed. A very good suggestion and perhaps the finest AV receiver Sony ever made. Its an even better stereo amplifier in its own right.

I have a full cyrus system but the sony is in no way outclassed.

regards

zetu

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all very much. I greatly appreciate it. I now have a much better understanding of sound system.

One more quick question is is these products a good quality products for low budget compare to the ones mentioned above.

Denon DRA-F109DAB+CD PLAYER DCD-F109+NETWORK SYSTEM DNP-F109+DENON SPEAKERS

Or will it be better buying parts of the system seperately such as the suggested items above.

Many thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts