will it play 4k?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Possibly is the only realistic answer you will get as nobody knows for sure until the official announcement of 4k Blu-ray discs, and even then you'd still need an announcement from Oppo to say whether that player will support them / they will provide a firmware upgrade to allow that support.

tris101

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It does not have HDMI 2.0 so unless they have software upgrades to support it my guess is it will be replaced within a year once the new stds filters in. I don't think 4k blue ray as been set yet. its all up in the air as far as I can see not a good time for investment in 4K I would wait a year or be prepared to replace.

Paul.

tris101 said:
It does not have HDMI 2.0 so unless they have software upgrades to support it my guess is it will be replaced within a year once the new stds filters in. I don't think 4k blue ray as been set yet. its all up in the air as far as I can see not a good time for investment in 4K I would wait a year or be prepared to replace.

HDMI 1.4 does support 4k at up to 30 fps. 2.0 allows higher frame rate and 3d support.

tris101

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
yes but 30fps is too slow and will be replaced with 60 or 100fps within the a year. 1.4a can not support more than 30fps. hdmi 2.0 will be the std very soon. As such this player will be out-of-date very quickly.

I would not buy 4k equipment until all the required hardware is available or you run the high risk of your equipment not being unable to support whatever new std is set.

It might be possible to update hdmi 1.4a to 2.0 with just a firmware update but everything I have seen points to a hardware change being required.

Plus there is no blue ray 4k codac set yet.

Paul.

tris101 said:
yes but 30fps is too slow and will be replaced with 60 or 100fps within the a year. 1.4a can not support more than 30fps. hdmi 2.0 will be the std very soon. As such this player will be out-of-date very quickly. I would not buy 4k equipment until all the required hardware is available or you run the high risk of your equipment not being unable to support whatever new std is set. It might be possible to update hdmi 1.4a to 2.0 with just a firmware update but everything I have seen points to a hardware change being required. Plus there is no blue ray 4k codac set yet.

Sorry, but what studios are filming higher than 24p? The hobbit was shot in 48p and the majority complained. I would be interested to hear of any studios shooting at high frame rate, but unfortunately 24p is put on a pedestal. Secondly, it looks like 4k bluray is going to be on a 100gb disk, so 60p or 100p will be impossible.

HEVC has been standardized to h.265, which will be the codec used for 4k bluray.

markyboy156 said:
hi i have the oppo 105 blu ray player will it read/play 4k blu ray discs thanks :cheers:

When Oppo says "4K ready", it means the players can UPSCALE blu ray pictures to fill a 4K screen. That's all. It doesn't mean it can play true 4K discs, I'm quite certain that no firmware update can make it play future 4K discs if the discs are made to different specifications than current Blu-ray Discs.

tris101

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
yes they might not be happy with higher frame rates but they are coming:

http://dcimovies.com/Recommended_Practice/

http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/events/webinar049_BeyondHD-update/hoffmann_beyondHD_update.pdf

Data storage is the main problem I can see. But that changes all the time 128gb 4 layer blue ray is possible and there are options beyond the blue-ray

HEVC has been standardized to h.265 it is only now starting to filter in to equipment.

New codec are arriving all the time.

HEVC-1000 SDK software encoder which supports the Main 10 profile, resolutions up to 7680×4320, and frame rates up to 120 fps

ViXS Systems announced the XCode 6400 SoC which supports 4K resolution at 60 fps

All I was trying to say while the oppo might be able to support 4k I don’t think the spec have been fully set so it is very likely to be redundant and replaced in short space of time. I see the lack of HMDI 2.0 as limiting, hdmi 2.0 is starting to appear on new 4K tv's and will be the next std. Manufactures seem to be driving the market as they need to sell the next big thing, we don’t have 4k yet but they are already talking about 8K.

Nepheler

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Disc Types by Oppo 105 Blu-ray PlayerBD-Video, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts