Will A85 drive Mission 753s?

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Hi thanks to everyone who's advised on upgrades of my old system, which is for now at least, Arcam A85, Marantz CD 52 se, Mission 752s.

I say for now because one of the tweeters on he speakers has gone. Wilmslow are quoting for a replacement but will be a whole new faceplate, will need 2 so unlikely to be cheap. A few pairs of 753's on eBay, but they seem a fair bit bigger so want to make sure I'm not going to have matching problems. If its relevant then I'm on the look out for a P85 so I can bi amp too.

Thoughts?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
As no-one else has answered I will say the 753 are sensitive speakers 90db at 6 ohms, so that amp should be fine, they will take a bit more power than the 752. Size of speakers does not matter, in fact floorstanders are often easier to drive than standmounts. Larger size will give you more bass, if that is a problem then look elsewhere.

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

Bigh, just to clarify, when you say 'will take more power' do you mean will go louder, or will,take more power to get to same loudness?

Wilmslow have quoted c. £70 for replacement tweeters, but will require a bit of DIY to fit. My choice is therefore spend £70 on those, or £200-250 on some 753s from eBay. Won't do that unless they are better, but do like powerful bass...

What do you think?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chrisjohnwright said:
Thanks guys.

Bigh, just to clarify, when you say 'will take more power' do you mean will go louder, or will,take more power to get to same loudness?

Wilmslow have quoted c. £70 for replacement tweeters, but will require a bit of DIY to fit. My choice is therefore spend £70 on those, or £200-250 on some 753s from eBay. Won't do that unless they are better, but do like powerful bass...

What do you think?

I mean to get the same volume you will have to use more power uie turn the volume up, thats OK but some amps do not sound so good after 12 oclock.

Re tweeters that sounds really expensive, I would have thought you could get them for a lot less than that. I would do a search on google and try and find the exact tweeters.

jonathancaryl

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
> A few pairs of 753's on eBay,

I've owned a pair of 753Fs since 1997, and I'd certainly recommend them (the F is for 'Freedom'). I did listen to the smaller 752s at the same time, which were good but just not in the same league as their big brothers. The 753F isn't the same speaker as the original 753, so if you're buying a pair you want to know which version you're getting. Although the original 753 was a well-reviewed speaker, to my ears they were way too aggressive, and after listening to a couple of songs my ears had had enough. A quick look on ebay shows a few 753s, but only one claims to be a 753F.

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard the Freedoms or the 752's so I can't really coment on them, however I am an owner of the 753's & I think they were a great purchase. No regrets.

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Based on the research I think freedoms sound a better bet than original 753s, but I guess rarer (not convinced the ones on eBay that claim to be are).

The original tweeters went out of supply over ten years ago so have failed to find any anywhere.

As I'm researching more I keep coming up with new thoughts (guess that's a hifi lovers problem) but Monitor RS6s also now on my radar too....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts