Will a vintage amp still measure up? Azur 640A compared to A&R A60

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I've had a Cambridge Azur 640A for that last few years, but due to repeated mechanical faults it's time to let it go.

I'd like to replace it with something containing an intergated DAC OR phono stage to minimise clutter, but nothing on the market at the moment has stood out.

However, I remember my ancient A&R A60 being superb. And there's generally a couple available on ebay. So was maybe thinking of taking a chance on one of those. But how does the sound really compare to a contemporary amp? It's been a decade or more since I heard one and memory is not so reliable... Anyone got any advice?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

I own an A&R A60 which is smooth and musical, if a little unexciting.....it will be quite a shock after your CA which has a sound that's the opposite end of the spectrum.

What is the rest of your system, as you will need lively forward speakers to prevent a sound that leans towards the soporific?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought an Arcam Alpha 9 which is not as vintage but has a fabulous sound, I have been hugely happy with this purchase. I managed to get this for £130 so not a huge outlay.

The A&R A60 is a good amp, was the first hifi amp I remember being impressed with started me off many years ago, I thought about getting one for nostalgia's sake but the din plugs meant buying more leads etc. so passed.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

TRENDING THREADS