Will 8200CDQ work with integrated amp?

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Audiolab's instruction manual says the CDQ should have it's outputs connected to a power amp, and that connecting them to a pre would degrade sound quality. Does this mean that basically the CDQ ahouldn't be used with an integrated amp? The 8200CD instruction manual doesn't contain this advice however.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I assume the company means that because the CDQ has a built-in preamp, connecting it to an integrated would mean you then had two preamps, and two volume controls, in the signal path. The 8200CD doesn't have a preamp built-in.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. So it would be best not to use the CDQ with an integrated amp? The reason I ask is rather complicated and boring, but basically I was supplied with the wrong item when I bought mine, and now have to decide whether to stick with the CD and get a partial refund, or get the CDQ which I wanted in the first place. Since the store were incapable of putting the right player in the right box, I'm rather reluctant to ask them this question! ;)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, you can use it with an integrated amplifier: all you have to do is set the 8200CDQ to fixed (ie maximum) level output, then just use it as a standard CD player.

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You just need to set the vol to 0dB on the CDQ and use your integrated amp to control the volume.

If connect to a power amp direct, you will need to set to about -20 to -30dB, depending on the gain of your power amp.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
That can't be done without the latest software. If the unit was purchased on launch it will not give you this funtion. I realise I wasnt clear in my last post.

Ah right, well I was just going by the procedure in the current manual. Presumably models now available have/can be updated with the latest software, though.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all. I've actually stayed with the 8200CD rather than the Q in the end. It sounds absolutely superb and I'm very pleased with it, running through a Rotel RA1520 and B&W 685.

The store felt that the mispackaging was down to audiolab rather than them, although I'm suspicious as the audiolab tech had visited the store to tweek and upgrade their stock of players and I wonder if they'd been put back in their proper boxes. They were doing the CDQ for £749 and the CD for £659. Bargain!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
whiskywheels said:
Thanks all. I've actually stayed with the 8200CD rather than the Q in the end. It sounds absolutely superb and I'm very pleased with it, running through a Rotel RA1520 and B&W 685.

The store felt that the mispackaging was down to audiolab rather than them, although I'm suspicious as the audiolab tech had visited the store to tweek and upgrade their stock of players and I wonder if they'd been put back in their proper boxes. They were doing the CDQ for £749 and the CD for £659. Bargain!

For what it is worth , your contract was with the store and not Audiolab so it would have been up to them to sort out the problem . The fact that they didn't open the box and check that the contents were what they were supposed to be was their oversight . However, you seem to be sorted now . I also listened to the CDQ this afternoon with a pair of Audiolab monoblocs and it made a pretty good sound through a pair of ATC SCM11s .

Happy listening,

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts