Will 50W per channel be enough in my space?

paulheartsyouall

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi all!

First off, I should say that I am total neophyte in the hi-fi world and am looking to buy my first set-up.

The components are part of a package that goes for $1000CAD ($715USD) and are as follows: Pro-Ject Essential II (http://www.whathifi.com/pro-ject/essential-ii/review), Wharfdale Diamond 220 Bookshelfs (http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review) and a Yahama RS300 receiver (http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/r-s300/overview).

I was hoping to get an opinion on the receiver and if its 50W per channel would suffice. It seems a little on the light end, but then I live in a 600 sq. ft. open space condo (literally one giant room); so perhaps I don't need to blow the doors off anything. After reasonably extensive research, I have no concerns with the turntable and speakers, I just didn't want the system to be held back by a less than ideal receiver.

Thanks in advance!

MeanandGreen said:
I'd say your speakers with their low sensitivity and small physical size are a much bigger issue than the chosen amplifier in that size space.

Apart from that, which I see no problem with as 86dB is not exactly low as standmounts go, I would question why a receiver and not a stereo amp. Also suggest that floorstanders might be better in that space.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
MeanandGreen said:
I'd say your speakers with their low sensitivity and small physical size are a much bigger issue than the chosen amplifier in that size space.

Apart from that, which I see no problem with as 86dB is not exactly low as standmounts go, I would question why a receiver and not a stereo amp. Also suggest that floorstanders might be better in that space.

Probably because he wants a tuner? It's a stereo receiver not a A/V receiver.

86db is not abnormally low, but it is low.

I would of went with 90/91 db/w/m floorstanders myself that would make a considerable difference to the achievable output volume per watt of power, certainly more worthwhile than adding a bigger amp to the speakers he has already chosen anyway. Considering an amp with twice the power output would only theoreticaly achieve an extra 3db in volume.

I think achieving a good space filling sound in such a space is quite a task for any system.

MeanandGreen said:
Al ears said:
MeanandGreen said:

Probably because he wants a tuner? It's a stereo receiver not a A/V receiver.

86db is not abnormally low, but it is low.

I would of went with 90/91 db/w/m floorstanders myself that would make a considerable difference to the achievable output volume per watt of power, certainly more worthwhile than adding a bigger amp to the speakers he has already chosen anyway. Considering an amp with twice the power output would only theoreticaly achieve an extra 3db in volume.

I think achieving a good space filling sound in such a space is quite a task for any system.

Apologies just saw receiver and thought home cinema, forgot the yanks like things built-in. Waste of money if you ask me. But whatever.

Adding extra power to a speaker that's basically too small for the room isn't going to resolve the problem in my view.

rainsoothe

Hi. If you can afford it, check out Pro-Ject Carbon Esprit SB with Marantz PM6005 and Dali Zensor 3. As far as I know, people who actually heard the Wharfedales were pretty dissappointed by it, and I really dislike Yamaha amps, they sound really wimpy, uninvolving and non-rhythmical.

Of course, you should audition for yourself if you can. But I would stay clear of Yamaha amps if you can't audition. And only get a reciever if you really need the functionality. Otherwise, use a 2 channel amp.

Others to consider are Nad C316BEE + Rega Fono mini A2D (since the Nad doesn't have a phono stage), or, if you don't mind used and they fit your budget, Rotel RA1520 or even RA10, and Arcam A19, and B&W DM602 S2 speakers.

But seriously consider Marantz PM6005 with Dali Zensor 3. You can upgrade the turntable later :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts