Will 22 watts pc be enough for these speakers ?

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Looking for a replacement micro for the bedroom, at the moment I have a Denon M38 but the volume goes up / down in to big a stages (8 to quite 9 to loud etc), really like the Onkyo CR555 but its output is only 22 watts pc, the speakers I will be using are Wharfedale 9.1 which recommend a minimum of 20 watts pc, which means I will only have 2 watts pc above the minimum, do you think this will be OK ?

Have you actually used the 9.1's with the M38?. Did you manage to get enough volume through them with this setup?

The 9.1's are hardly the worlds most efficient speaker but seeing as you will only be losing 8 watts per channel if you change to the CR555 then you might just get away with it. Probably better off with more efficient speakers if you go down this route.

My suggestion would be that if it is only the volume problem you do not like regards the M38 then I would strongly suggest you invest in a pair of Rothwell Attenuators.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have you thought about looking at a 2nd hand Marantz MCR603?

brilliant system! bags of power and with a fantastic sound to boot! :)

d_a_n1979 has a point. For £50 more than your choice of CR555 you could get a new Marantz MCR603 if you know where to look. This will give you an an increase of 10 w.p.c. as opposed to a drop of 8. This should enable you to better control the 9.1's (86 dB, 6 ohm impedence) and allow you to use it in larger rooms if required. :)

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
d_a_n1979 has a point. For £50 more than your choice of CR555 you could get a new Marantz MCR603 if you know where to look. This will give you an an increase of 10 w.p.c. as opposed to a drop of 8. This should enable you to better control the 9.1's (86 dB, 6 ohm impedence) and allow you to use it in larger rooms if required. :)

[/quote

Totally agree this would be best option

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice, I went to my local Richer Sounds and gave the Denon M39 a try, much better volume control than the older M38 I had, yes after you get to volume 14 it does start to jump up a little but I had it on in the bedroom last night and had no trouble getting the volume just right for me and the misses, bliss :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts