Wifi music players

admin_exported

New member
Aug 10, 2019
2,556
3
0
Hi everyone

Hope you can give me some advice.

My parents (yes the ones who still don't understand how to operate the dvd player) have recently downsized their home and have had to get rid of their large stereo system and desk top computer.

In my infinate wisdom for ideas on space saving I have installed a wifi network, bought them a laptop then showed them how to put their CD collection on it..... yes I know, lots of phone calls of an evening explaining!

They would now like to have some type of stereo that they can move round the bungalow i.e from the kitchen diner to the living room using this new found technology.

My experience of this in my house consists of a NAS drive with 200GB of music stored in lossless format feeding a network AV amp on a wired network to a 7.1 system.

Took them down to Comet etc. to see what is available and was shocked at the limited selection of portable players available that can both receive wifi networked music/internet radio and play it through speakers within their budget of £250.

Hope you might be able to help?
 
What about Sonos Play:3?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonos-PLAY-White-Wireless-Hi-Fi/dp/B005CI5GOA

You'll need a Sonos bridge which will connect to your wifi router. Sonos products frequently get discounted.

Check this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONOS-Play-3-Wireless-Hifi-System-Sonos-BRIDGE-WHITE-Brand-NEW-/230824859264?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item35be3bd680
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
does this have internet radio?

Why do we need the bridge when we already have wifi?
 
chocka1 said:
does this have internet radio?
Yes.

http://www.sonos.com/music

http://www.sonos.com/system

Why do we need the bridge when we already have wifi?
At least one of Sonos components needs to be hard wired to a router. Sonos then operates in its own mesh network.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/126/~/information-about-sonosnet
 

scene

Moderator
Sep 25, 2008
784
181
19,070
Even though I am an avowed sonos fan, I feel it only fair to say that if they're only going to get one device, you might also want to look at a Logitech squeezebox. Probably the all in one squeezebox radio http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/7654, it's cheaper and its more radio like controls may prove easier for your parents to use, judging by my experiences of trying to explain the sonos controller app on the iPad to my mum.l.
 
scene said:
Even though I am an avowed sonos fan, I feel it only fair to say that if they're only going to get one device, you might also want to look at a Logitech squeezebox. Probably the all in one squeezebox radio http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/7654, it's cheaper and its more radio like controls may prove easier for your parents to use, judging by my experiences of trying to explain the sonos controller app on the iPad to my mum.l.
Hmmm....I agree. This looks like a better option.

Cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Squeezebox-Radio-Black/dp/B002N2YZYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342482712&sr=8-1
 

scene

Moderator
Sep 25, 2008
784
181
19,070
bigboss said:
scene said:
Even though I am an avowed sonos fan, I feel it only fair to say that if they're only going to get one device, you might also want to look at a Logitech squeezebox. Probably the all in one squeezebox radio http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/7654, it's cheaper and its more radio like controls may prove easier for your parents to use, judging by my experiences of trying to explain the sonos controller app on the iPad to my mum.l.
Hmmm....I agree. This looks like a better option.

Cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Squeezebox-Radio-Black/dp/B002N2YZYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342482712&sr=8-1
Yes, that is a good price. But I'd recommend the radio accessory pack, it's an extra £30, but gives you the remote control and the rechargeable battery, which makes the squeezebox into a proper portable device.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
What is the quality of sound like from the squeezebox radio, & how would it compare to a squeezebox boom?

Are they a tinny sound or are they ok?
 

tino

Well-known member
Sep 29, 2011
135
10
18,595
Hi and welcome .. my suggestion for your parents' system would be slightly different. If they already know how to work the laptop, then a good quality Bluetooth (apt-x) speaker would work well ... http://uk.store.creative.com/speakers/ziisound-d3x/4-20624.aspx. This is about £140, but Creative do 20% off offers on a regular basis. This already comes with the correct type of apt-x Bluetooth transmitter bundled in. This would make a very discrete and portable setup. You can even sync up up to tree separate speakers in different rooms, so you don't have to move them around.
 

scene

Moderator
Sep 25, 2008
784
181
19,070
tino said:
Hi and welcome .. my suggestion for your parents' system would be slightly different. If they already know how to work the laptop, then a good quality Bluetooth (apt-x) speaker would work well ... http://uk.store.creative.com/speakers/ziisound-d3x/4-20624.aspx. This is about £140, but Creative do 20% off offers on a regular basis. This already comes with the correct type of apt-x Bluetooth transmitter bundled in. This would make a very discrete and portable setup. You can even sync up up to tree separate speakers in different rooms, so you don't have to move them around.
Given the OP's comment "My parents (yes the ones who still don't understand how to operate the dvd player)", then I think the simplest interface possible would be the best approach...

Thinking about it, maybe using iTunes and an airplay enabled speaker system (or speakers) could be the easiest solution. This means that only one interface would need to be used for ripping CDs and playing them back - which should reduce the support calls to the OP :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts