WIFI facility in Blue Ray Players - Updating Software Advice

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Beginning to notice that wifi is beginning to appear in blue ray players. ( which is good - better than running an ethernet cable) Other than for BD live, one of the advertising blurbs refer to the fact that teh software can be updated regularly.

This got me to thinking, how often does the software need to be dated. I have had a DVD player for about 6 years and have never connected it to a PC for an update. Likewise have not done the same to the TV ?

So does the software need to be updated regularly ? Should i be connecting my DVd player DVD regularly to a PC ?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
staggerlee:So does the software need to be updated regularly ? Should i be connecting my DVd player DVD regularly to a PC ?

Not regularly, just when the manufacturer updates firmware to solve a problem or add a feature. As I've said before on these forums, Blu-ray is really good, but it'll be nice when it's finished, so manufacturers do occasionally update firmware to solve playability problems with various discs or features.

FWIW the Oppo machine I have at home at the moment is connected to a very inexpensive wireless Ethernet bridge, which powers up along with the player, and to date it's done about half a dozen firmware updates before the player is even on sale...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts