Wife factor/speaker placement

Reef

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I managed to come home with some B&W 683s, any way have set my new pride and joys up center stage of our lounge to get the best sound I could with our furniture arrangment,rather proud of my twin towers dominating our living area couldnt wait for wifey to get home to show them off, to my horror she didnt share my enthusiasm and wants me to place them into the far corners of a side wall :doh:. So any tips on how i can keep them where they are? If i do lose this delicate battle and have to rearrange the room id possibly have to run fairly long speaker cables of different length how much effect on sound quality would that have?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The speaker cable length is not really an issue. The positioning of the speakers is. To get the best sound you'll want to experiment with the distance between the speakers and their distance from the rear and side walls.

Is there anything you can do to make your wife appreciate the benefits of good speaker placement? I'll leave that to your imagination.

:cheers:

Matt

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Reef said:
I managed to come home with some B&W 683s, any way have set my new pride and joys up center stage of our lounge to get the best sound I could with our furniture arrangment,rather proud of my twin towers dominating our living area couldnt wait for wifey to get home to show them off, to my horror she didnt share my enthusiasm and wants me to place them into the far corners of a side wall :doh:.

I know it's too late now, but what about discussing these things first? Both going a dealer to see and hear the options might have avoided all this.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
Is there anything you can do to make your wife appreciate the benefits of good speaker placement?

I'm sure if he moves them as described she'll appreciate the difference immediately, after all wives/girlfriends ALWAYS notice subtle changes in system tuning don't they? ;)

To the OP, can you bribe her with flowers/chocolate/dinner/new dress etc?

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
So tell me why exactly do wives and girlfriends or husbands and boyfriends supposedly have the last say as to where hi-fi goes and what it looks like? They get to choose the colours of the washing machine and the vacuum cleaner and you don't interfere with their hobby ;-D Compromise isn't defined as doing whatever your partner wants...it's doing whatever you can get away with without it leading to a divorce, surely? ;-) :-D

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This one seems easy. . .

Your relationships are more important that bits of hi-fi kit. So put the speakers where the boss wants them to go.

Buy long cables for them though, and then when she's out and you are having a listening session you can drag them out and put them in the right place!

Best of both worlds is always possible.

Good luck.........!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
See I'm one of those weirdos who (williingly) involves my SWMBO in the decision-making from the start, so I don't get nasty surprises, and neither does she. Sure she'll stand there cross-armed and glaze-eyed during any audition because she'd just as happily listen to a Binatone, but involving her in the process, no matter how impassive she is to it, prevents hostility.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
See I'm one of those weirdos who (williingly) involves my SWMBO in the decision-making...

I actually suspect that that is the norm, MajorFubar, regardless of what the 'fettered fellas' like to make out on forums like this one.... 'sall just bravado in my opinion :grin:

Oh, and my post was completely in jest, hope that was very clear. Always in total harmony here... :roll: ;)

Reef

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yea she was involved in the buying process but i admit they did seem a lot smaller in the shop! After a nice bottle of wine and playing heaps of her favorite music i can see she is starting to love them came home from work to find the stereo cranking and the kids having a dance off :dance: and a big grin on wifeys face.I may have a new problem now in trying to get my choice played, not a bad problem as we mostly love the same stuff.Your right visionary the ladys seem to have a good ear at picking up the subtle changes when we played around with speaker placement.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
SiUK said:
So tell me why exactly do wives and girlfriends or husbands and boyfriends supposedly have the last say as to where hi-fi goes and what it looks like? They get to choose the colours of the washing machine and the vacuum cleaner and you don't interfere with their hobby ;-D Compromise isn't defined as doing whatever your partner wants...it's doing whatever you can get away with without it leading to a divorce, surely? ;-) :-D

:rofl:

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Sell them to me cheap and buy a pair of headphones
smiley-smile.gif

Seriously though I'm thinking about buying a new system for our second room and I might have the same problem.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Reef said:
Yea she was involved in the buying process but i admit they did seem a lot smaller in the shop! After a nice bottle of wine and playing heaps of her favorite music i can see she is starting to love them came home from work to find the stereo cranking and the kids having a dance off :dance: and a big grin on wifeys face.I may have a new problem now in trying to get my choice played, not a bad problem as we mostly love the same stuff.Your right visionary the ladys seem to have a good ear at picking up the subtle changes when we played around with speaker placement.

Yay!

Having been through all that, the best way is always to let everyone else play their music...I had my finger over the microphone as I was filming on the quiet.

Dunno whether this will work as a video, but if it does you get the gist.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/Joelsimister/IMG_15711.mp4[/URL

TRENDING THREADS