Why we spend all our hard earnt on A/V equipment??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Personally, I have spent about £2500 in the last 3 months on A/V kit... which seems an awful lot. I think it is justified however, when I go to the cinema.... 1. Cinema prices for the good seats are quite expensive £8 - £20 in London 2. You rely on a spotty faced projectionist to get it right, I remember two occasions I had to go and tell them that either the Audio was out of sync or the tracking was losing about 5 feet off the top of the screen 3. People smuggling in snacks in noisy packaging 4. Inconsiderate teenagers (sometimes their parents also) who insist on adding their own soundtrack 5. Mobile phones 6. People with weak bladders... if I can last an 8 hour long haul flight without taking a leak, i think the rest of the world could manage 2 hours. I think I spend my money on A/V kit so that I don't get arrested for assault or worse.... how about you lot?

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Mind if I pop round later with a copy of Die Hard 4.0 and a big bag of Walkers Cheese and Onion? Oh and some cider?

A

Anonymous

See... now thats the funny thing, if it was a mate popping over, I wouldn't mind, in fact it would be me providing the crisps and alcohol! In a cinema, certain etiquette needs to be adhered to.... maybe thats just the policeman coming out in me.

A

Anonymous

And what about all the people who tell you that you are wasting all of your money. They say they can't tell the difference between your kit and AM radio.

A

Anonymous

If the kit gives you pleasure, and you're not buying it at the risk of getting your house repossesed
emotion-4.gif
then I don't see any problem in it.

Oh and hey, us teenagers aren't all like that
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

No they are worse. Little S"""ts are always throwing stuff and kicking my in the back and shouting. I gonna lay em out next time.
If indeed there is a next time as like the above posts said it seems much better to watch at home.

A

Anonymous

I know that not all teenagers that act like a group of barbary apes on crack, but they sure make up for those of you who don't. I think you misinterpreted the question of the post though, I am just wondering if anyone has any amusing or witty comments to make about their own personal justification for expensive home cinema kit.... just for a laugh.

A

Anonymous

No, I knew what you were asking. I just had to get that off my chest... lol.

I have spent a small fortune over the past few years too, racking up a good 4-5k on home cinema and hi-fi and i would say 'YES INDEEDEE It is worth nearly every penny as I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Only had the odd duff dvd player along the way.

A

Anonymous

Sorry Paul, i was replying to the post above yours.... i know you got the question ;-)

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tom83cat"] I think I spend my money on A/V kit so that I don't get arrested for assault or worse.... how about you lot?[/quote]

The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of WhatHiFi forum memebers working in cinemas in the same way flight marshalls are supposed to do in aircraft; sat there with a Samurai sword ready to go a bit "Kill Bill" on the kids that don't sit quietly or the projectionist that doesn't get the film in focus. I'd vote for that.

As an aside, there's sometimes a delight in getting decent AV for less. My own set up is quite reasonable - about £1200 for the telly (back then), £1500 for the amp and similar for the speakers, and I'm on my second decent Sony DVD player, both costing about £400 (the latter one being bought for its Component outputs)

However, having started watching Pushing Daisies and discovering that ITV in their wisdom were ommitting episode 2 for scheduling reasons, I downloaded the whole series in XviD format from the web.

None of my existing players play XviD, and we didn't fancy watching it in the study huddled round the PC, so while I was out getting some soup yesterday, I had a browse round the electrical section in Tesco. There I found a tiny little Technika 1033 DVD player which claimed to do XviD on the box

Which of course it does, and pretty darned well, too. And all for less than 20 quid. Bargain.

Oh, and it's got component out too. There was another with upscaler and HDMI out for the same price, but no mention of XviD unfortunately

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tom83cat"]Personally, I have spent about £2500 in the last 3 months on A/V kit... which seems an awful lot.

I think it is justified however, when I go to the cinema....
1. Cinema prices for the good seats are quite expensive £8 - £20 in London
2. You rely on a spotty faced projectionist to get it right, I remember two occasions I had to go and tell them that either the Audio was out of sync or the tracking was losing about 5 feet off the top of the screen
3. People smuggling in snacks in noisy packaging
4. Inconsiderate teenagers (sometimes their parents also) who insist on adding their own soundtrack
5. Mobile phones
6. People with weak bladders... if I can last an 8 hour long haul flight without taking a leak, i think the rest of the world could manage 2 hours.
I think I spend my money on A/V kit so that I don't get arrested for assault or worse.... how about you lot?
[/quote] i have spent £1300 more or less to ghet this decent home cinema and why because its true that the cinema is epensive for wat it is ana there are too many problems kid/service/bad projectors/and the lot but i do iconfess go to the cinema ofthen to see the moovies that i cannot absolutely wait to see in this case iron man but wat the sistem at home offers me is fantastic sound and picture with tv/dvds/bluraydvds and gamesm you u reallllyn cannot ask for more can you

A

Anonymous

Spent about 7K in the past year, luckily the girlfriend approves. Got a good system now and it gives us a lot of pleasure. We're undergoing house renovation at the moment and the plan, my plan, is to add a full hd projector at some point. Oh happy days!

R

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tom83cat"]

However, having started watching Pushing Daisies and discovering that ITV in their wisdom were ommitting episode 2 for scheduling reasons, I downloaded the whole series in XviD format from the web.

None of my existing players play XviD, and we didn't fancy watching it in the study huddled round the PC, so while I was out getting some soup yesterday, I had a browse round the electrical section in Tesco. There I found a tiny little Technika 1033 DVD player which claimed to do XviD on the box

Which of course it does, and pretty darned well, too. And all for less than 20 quid. Bargain.

Oh, and it's got component out too. There was another with upscaler and HDMI out for the same price, but no mention of XviD unfortunately

[/quote]

Did you watch the "missing" episode two. I'd read that ITV were not going to show it, but Saturday's episode seemed to pick up pretty much where the previous one ended, so I thought that maybe they had a change of mind. If not I'd be interested to know what did happen in episode two. With this kind of cavalier attitude to its product, it is hardly surprising that ITV is in the mess its in.

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
Yes, we watched episode 2, all about deaths in a car factory. Very enjoyable.

As I've now watched a few more episodes, they've all blurred into one I'm afraid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts