Why not Western Digital NAS?

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Following on from my previous post, I'm getting the impression that many of you don't think very much of the Western Digital My Book Live. I've looked at some of the alternative products that have been suggested, but (bear in mind that I don't know an awful lot about these things) I'm just left more and more confused. Is it that it takes an age to upload files onto the WD that is the main gripe? Or is it that it is just slow in everything that it does?...and why?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Theres nothing wrong with it at all if u want a cheap NAS - as the reviews on the internet show. Most give it a 4-5 out of 5.

Other NAS like the Synology DS212J just have more features, and faster read/write speeds - but these are not essential.

You might want to consider the WD edition that has 2 drives - so you can have automatic backup of your data

A

Anonymous

I’m using a wd live to feed a ps3 and several other dlna player/streamers no issues just remember to have it connected to the main machine via gigabit or transferring files takes an age my one feeds fast enough to stream backed up blu rays with no jitter and transfer is around 500mbit 53MB sec not that fond of twonky as it does not transcode video files but it works for audio and the cloud access is handy from work

g777o

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for about 4 months, since I got my sonos system.

Very easy to set up and use.

I suppose the only gripe people may have with it is that it only has the one connection, which is an Ethernet port. So any backups to another hard drive have to go nas-router-pc-backup drive, hence the slower transfer speeds. This however has never been a problem for myself. I recommend it.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I paid about £80 for my 1Tb MyBooklive and it works a treat streaming 24/96 FLAC files etc. Only downside is I am in the market for a dedicated network music player and the mybook is not compatible with logitech squeezebox server.

TRENDING THREADS