WHY NOT STUDIO MONITORS 4 MUZIC?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I got a recording studio, & just decided 2 put my Cambrigde Audio 840c cd player direct to my studio monitors & the sound was sublime.. This is an area which most people do not exploit. I mean i could hear everything my cd player was doing..

I think one reason 4 this is the removal of wire btw Amp & speakers... Having very short wires within the studio monitors.

I could hear better detail & control than very expensive setups with seperate Amp & speakers. And also most Studio monitors these days have balance inputs.. Which i am taking advantage of with the cambrigde 840c player. When muzic stops & starts its just so silent its unbelievable.

Also u get the option of using Good mains cable on each monitor. The down side 2 this is, if u got a bad source the monitors will show it. So something to think about. Thought i mention it here.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Nice looking monitors.

If anyone is interested in buying them, GAK are doing them half price (£460, per speaker) and a bundled package of a pair of the monitors and the matching sub for £1200.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

HERE'S THE LINK

A

Anonymous

true enough they really dont need a sub, hoofing speakers they are

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I have read that studio monitors often have peaks in treble and (mid?)bass to make picking out details in a mix easier to do. Perhaps that is one reason? I do not know whether that is applicable to all studio monitors, just something I read from another speaker manufacturer.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
A good monitor should not pick out any frequency range... It should give the info of whats coming into it.. If its pick out any Frequency over the other. Then its not a good monitor.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
mine aren't hyped in the bass or treble, and i think that the other speaker manufacturer is a little outdated with his knowledge of studio brands. if it's the one i'm thinking of.
smiley-wink.gif

mine play music better than anything else i've ever heard, and at a fraction of the cost.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Criag m i cannot agree with u more. I for one think people are just wasting there money 4 so call expensive hifi. It fliters dwn 2 most stuff in life. People cant think 4 themselves or let there ears make decision 4 them...

But hey some just see it as a hobby. By that i mean buying expensive toys..lolol

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Criag m i cannot agree with u more. I for one think people are just wasting there money 4 so call expensive hifi. It fliters dwn 2 most stuff in life. People cant think 4 themselves or let there ears make decision 4 them...

But hey some just see it as a hobby. By that i mean buying expensive toys..lolol

I think it's more likely that most people just read mainstream hi-fi magazines, which most monitor manufacturers don't supply to for review or advertise in, so "normal" people just won't be aware of them. I've never heard of your make, for example.

A

Anonymous

I understand studio monitors are designed for close (near field) listening. What are they like when you sit back a few yards?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hum.. Well i will not be naming brands on here. Cause its not my place to do so on this site. But if of any help most of the well know brands are just that & nothing more. Few & inbtw that really do leave up 2 the expence but very few.

As per the other Question About position. It all depends on the size of ur room & ur position from ur monitoring setup. I got a fairly big room so am about 3meters from the monitors when monitoring recorded muzic & bout 4meters when just listen 2 muzic. Hence big monitors. If u got a small size room would be better 2 get small size monitors.. hope that helps.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Hum.. Well i will not be naming brands on here. Cause its not my place to do so on this site.

Come on you cant dangle the carrot!

Anyway i want to know what giant has been slayed..

A

Anonymous

Think, Classe or Macintosh Partnered with B&W 800 series'. Listen to a good setup of that variety then come back here and say your "studio monitors" are even in anything close to the same world.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
RMutt said:
I understand studio monitors are designed for close (near field) listening. What are they like when you sit back a few yards?

mine are designed more for mid field i think, they sound great at normal listening distances in my livingroom and could fill a townhall with sound.
smiley-laughing.gif

i can't comment on what the op has heard, but the most expensive amp and speaker combo i've heard was naims top pre/power and b&w 802 - sounded very good but didn't blow me away at all (i listened to these with the 555 cdp for about an hour, while waiting for a demo room). ok, it wasn't at home and i never put much store by a shop demo, but, when i heard my opals, my jaw dropped.

i think another thing weighing against studio monitors being accepted for home use, is their appearance. hifi speakers can enhance the look of a room, and are bought for their looks as much as sound, by an awful lot of people. i also think, judging by this forum, that a lot of hifi buyers are prejudiced against actives anyway. i know i was until i heard some.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Ok dnt know what ur refering to.. My studio monitors or the systems comparing with the monitors..

well, I was refering to the systems being compared with your monitors.

besides, you already mentioned somewhere in the plot that you've got KRK studio monitors (however, it is unclear to me if they're ones from Rokit series or VXT series because you said you had VXT8s and later you say you had Rokit monitors... or maybe you've both?).

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Monstrous said:
Think, Classe or Macintosh Partnered with B&W 800 series'. Listen to a good setup of that variety then come back here and say your "studio monitors" are even in anything close to the same world.

maybe go and listen to some top notch studio monitors, and then tell us how good you think the b&w 800 series are.
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Craig M. said:
Monstrous said:

maybe go and listen to some top notch studio monitors, and then tell us how good you think the b&w 800 series are.
smiley-wink.gif

You're getting confused between something sounding accurate and something sounding enjoyable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts