Why no digital streamer in the budget, midrange and high end what hifi systems?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Im looking to but a new system very soon,

I keep hearing people say a digital streamers of equal value to a cd play sound much better.

Is this really the case?

If so why are all the recommended systems with cd players?

I am wanting to go digital streamer but i am still not 100% with the varying opinions.

Tim

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Our suggested systems are yet to be updated as a result of the one-make systems test in the current, January issue, where the set-ups tested included CD-, turntable- and streaming client-based systems.

I'd expect there to be an update sometime early in the New Year.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Our suggested systems are yet to be updated as a result of the one-make systems test in the current, January issue, where the set-ups tested included CD-, turntable- and streaming client-based systems.

I'd expect there to be an update sometime early in the New Year.

Would you mind giving your opinion on my planned system, a Linn Sneaky DS, into a power or integrated amp, if power probably a cyrus 8 power, or if integrated a naim nait 5i or cyrus 6xp. Not sure which will sound best, using the linns preamp or the naim/cyrus built in ones.

Using my Kef Q5se for the speakers.

I would also buy a nas drive, filled with wav rips of my cd's. ( interested in the studio quality stuff as well)

My music taste is from heavy rock to jazz, and then throw in my wife's tastes ie Beyonce, and other pop.

Im quite happy for other/ better systems for the money that you can think of.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Having tried both some of the more affordable Linn DS products and the NaimUniti and UnitiQute, I'd suggest you have a serious listen to the UnitiQute, to which you could later add a power amp: you could find an ex-dem or used NAP200 for around £1000-£1200, or a NAP150 for not much more than half that.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Having tried both some of the more affordable Linn DS products and the NaimUniti and UnitiQute, I'd suggest you have a serious listen to the UnitiQute, to which you could later add a power amp: you could find an ex-dem or used NAP200 for around £1000-£1200, or a NAP150 for not much more than half that.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I have tried the naim uniti and unitiqute, and on there own i was quite disappointed with the sound when compared to the nait 5 cd 5 combo, (the demo was using the new Kef Q500s so maybe a little large for the unitiqute) there was much greater scale and weight to the sound with the nait5i, so maybe using the unitiqute with a power amp might be the ticket.

I think the only down side to the naim set up is the lower 96/24 to the linns 196/24. ( how much use this would actually be i dont know, maybe more use in the future.

Is there a reason you prefer the naim over the linn? something i should be listening out for?

I got the feeling off the dealer that the unitiqute was a bedroom or kitchen hifi, good but a compromise. (actual words)

I really want something special for my limited budget. cd or streaming i dont mind,

My dealer has a really good sale comming up, 20% off naim linn cyrus, so really needs to be within these brands, or ive mangaed to get a 10% deal on a Audiolab 8200cd/8200a combo from another dealer. Total i want to spend is around £1500,

Any further advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tim

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
tim20:Is there a reason you prefer the naim over the linn? something i should be listening out for?
I got the feeling off the dealer that the unitiqute was a bedroom or kitchen hifi, good but a compromise. (actual words)

I just find the UQ, and even more the NaimUniti, has more spark, more life, more involvement than the Linn DS products I have tried.

Not sure why the UQ should be a compromise: ran it for a while as my main system, and had no complaints whatsoever. That said, the NaimUniti is undoubtedly a superior system.

A

Anonymous

Small HiFi companies have little computer experience so produce poor user interfaces with high price tags.

Do yourself a favour and just use a computer. Apple make nice media products.

A

Anonymous

A streamer's only serious component is the DAC. Everything else is a well-understood problem; so get a DAC and a fanless PC, put it all into a cupboard, put the music on a network store in the attic/cellar/cupboard-under-stairs and control it with your PC, Mac, smartphone, tablet, etc.. And then you can put another setup in another room and play your videos from the same store. Quality and convenience, not something that comes along every day :)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Taylor74:

Small HiFi companies have little computer experience so produce poor user interfaces with high price tags.

Do yourself a favour and just use a computer. Apple make nice media products.

Spot on IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts