Why does the rDock sound better than others? And which Pod sounds the best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been browsing for docks to connect to the aux input of any system around the home. The Arcam rDock comes well rated, but before committing those funds I need to get my head around a few things.

Something that prevails in audiophile land is simplicity - short signal paths, no tone controls, etc, etc.

Therefore, would the best "dock" actually be no dock? i.e. just a cable from the iPod to the HiFi?

If that is the case, will there be a different between using the headphone socket, and the connector on the bottom? My thoughts are that the latter is better if it bypasses the iPod volume control? i.e. It is a true line out?

However, if an actually dock does sound *better* then why is that? Is it adding something to the sound?

Lastly, do the newest Pods sound better? And would the solid state ones sound better in general?

Thanks,

Edward

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A simple 3.5mm jact to 2x RCA phono cable would be worse because you are relying on the abilities of the iPod to convert digital to analogue.

It will sound just like a giant pair of iPod earphones.

An iDock (like the Arcam) will suck out the digits and use it's own - far higher quality - built in DAC to convert to analogue.*

*[EDIT] Just checked and and there is no DAC in the rDock which is ridiculous at the price!

A

Anonymous

Oh right -

I didn't think people were getting digital outputs out of the iPod except for Wadia?

I understand how the line out from the connector should surpass the headphone socket, but expect it to be minimal if the volume is set to 100% i.e. no manipulation?

Ultimately it doesn't matter too much as the dock will be for guests and the kids, but I'm just trying to comprehend the variables.

A

Anonymous

From the pics it looks to be well-built, and some of the money is in communications sockets for integration with Arcam units? This should improve the control interface. However, seeing as I don't have Arcam stuff that functionality will be wasted on me.

I'm working from home today so will rip some CDs to WAV and put them on a Touch, if I can find an old line to phono lead. It will give me some idea.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
In theory, most docks should sound very similar - the only differences would be down to the cabling or printed circuitry they are using internally to link the dock port to the phono sockets.

I suppose there could also be shielding between the digital and analog parts, so there could be some merit there - but I'd be surprised if the rDock is £110 better than the £10 cambridge or £85 better than the £35 Apple dock.

I would guess the extra cash is spent on build quality and interfacing with Arcam's products...

*EDIT* apparantly the rDock has pre-amps built into it which "buffer the output" so there's the extra spend!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
another advantage of the Arcam rDock is that it uses smart-charging: ie it'll only charge your iPod if the battery needs it, rather than constantly charging the battery (which significantly shortens the battery-life of your portable player.)

Oh, and the rDock - in our blind tests - sounds better than many of its rivals, too. Shame there's no remote unless you link it with applicable Arcam kit....

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:(which significantly shortens the battery-life of your portable player.)

Does it? I thought that Li-Ion cells preferred to be kept topped-up, as opposed to the old NiMHs which needed full discharge/charge cycles to work at their best...

A

Anonymous

Thank you, Clare.

It's good to see editors post here. It gives that "community" feel.

Did the tech's at Arcam explain why is sounds better? What is it doing to the signal?

Or to put it another way - what are the rivals doing to make the sound worse?

Did you use a line out cable as a benchmark? Like this "audiophile" one?

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=44

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Clare Newsome:(which significantly shortens the battery-life of your portable player.)

Does it? I thought that Li-Ion cells preferred to be kept topped-up, as opposed to the old NiMHs which needed full discharge/charge cycles to work at their best...

From the Apple website:

"For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it's important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

And also my own experience - not just with iPods, but with the Li-ion battery in my laptop. I'm currently on (and have just about killed) battery no2 because I use it in a docking station at work, that just pumps it full of power all-day long....

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I had a cambridge audio dock for my itouch and recently added the Arcam rdock.

I confirm that i found a good level of improvement using the Arcam rdock on a mid range separates system. I put this down to component quality and build and for me was worth £100 upgrade - but it may depend on what budget the rest of you kit is.

Also note that the Arcam dock has separate signal path RCA outputs for each channel so you can use standard RCA leads of whatever quality you prefer.

TRENDING THREADS