Why are adverts on television SO LOUD??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Watching Clint Eastwoods "Letters from Iwo Jima" last night that I recorded last week from one of the channels on freeview , the volume of the film was quite low , so raising the volume on my meagre JBL ESC200 Pro Logic surround sound system to watch the film..... EVERY TIME THE ADVERTS CAME ON IT WAS 3 TIMES THE LOUDNESS OF THE FILM.... basically that loud that my wife shot out of bed to tell me to "TURN IT DOWN!!!!"

Why is it that the adverts are produced a lot louder than the film your watching???

Jotaboy

rigors

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
in the old days apparently it used to be that the commercial tape reels were smaller than the other reels so the tape would stretch less and this had an effect on the volume.

these days its because when they do the sound mix for a commercial they just whack everything up.

its like bill hicks says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew,

They not let you out for the Manchester Show, or something??
emotion-9.gif

rigors

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:You can turn it on under the Audyssey settings in the menu - the default is 'off'

ah.... okay....

will try this and see how it handles it. has 3 settings on mine - DAY, EVENING and MIDNIGHT. i'm going with DAY to see how it fares...

thanks andrew! :)

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I use the Audessey Day setting on my Sky input and think it does the job beautifully. It doesn't ruin dynamics in any obvious way- more of a gentle hand on extremes- and takes care of those pesky ads. It also gives the dialogue a gentle lift which I suppose would offend most purists, but (and I consider myself a bit of a purist) it doesn't do enough to offend me and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives for tv viewing as far as I'm concerned. When watching a film on sky movies I can always temporarily turn Dynamic volume off.

daveh75

Why are people still enduring adverts?

Almost all my off-air viewing is time shifted/chase played...Why sit through adverts (or use 'Dynamic volume' s/w to deal with them for that matter) when you dont have to?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Some things must be watched live- like sport.

Also- I don't know how fast your trigger finger is but I never get to the remote before the first few seconds of an ad have started and w/o dynamic volume that's enough to jar.

daveh75

Tom Moreno:Some things must be watched live- like sport. Hence my almost all comment...

Also- I don't know how fast your trigger finger is but I never get to the remote before the first few seconds of an ad have started and w/o dynamic volume that's enough to jar.Thats what 'Break bumpers' etc are for.
emotion-5.gif

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I thought it would have more to do with the dynamic range of the programming vs the dynamic compressed audio within the advert ? ie the maximum high volume output of the programming - explosions etc - would equal the volume of the adverts ? but the normal level of dialogue, music etc would be quieter.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I remember someone asking the same question in the Daily Mail's "Answers To Correspondents" section about 20 years ago. The completely lame stock answer given by a spokesperson from the then ITC was that the adverts are not louder at all: the engineers ensure that the maximum volume of the ads and the main programme peak at the same level. I always felt they (ITC) deliberately chose to misinterpret the question. We all know that the *peak* level of the ads and main programme are probably the same, it's just that the *mean* volume level of the ads is hugely greater than that of the main programme as a result of deliberate over-compression.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts