Whoopsy - Bought a new FM tuner!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just thought I'd let you all know that I've bought a new FM tuner! (my vintage stuff is dying on me!) It's a Meridian 504 tuner and according to various people, it's the d0g's b@11ux!

Has anyone here heard one? I can't wait to get it! I've just seen the size of the remote! It's almost as big as the tuner!!!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Good for you! A chance to listen to some good-quality FM broadcasts (I'm currently listening to The Proms on R3) rather than all that nasty digital stuff on DAB.
emotion-14.gif

T

the record spot

Yep, Meridian and small handsets don't go hand in hand (as it were!).

Don't know anything about it, but Hi Fi World's archive gives it a good summary; "a clear, natural sound with good punch. Has strong rivals at the price, but acquits itself well". Enjoy.

(EDIT - What was it about the Meridian that appealed to you in relation to other tuners, new and older, available on the new or used market?)

A

Anonymous

(Edit - Having problems inserting quotes at the moment!)

The looks, the very good sound quality apparently, the fact it was only £60 in mint condition and it has a certain understated, almost timeless appeal to it - I have a certain attraction to Meridian products however the down-side is to date, I havn't been able to afford their products!

Oh, and I was going to get an Audiolab 8000T, but they have reliability problems I found out!

And I'll get my Marantz 10 one day...one day...
emotion-1.gif

Oh, and when is the Last Night of the Proms Andy? I can't for the life of me find it on the Beeb!

T

the record spot

The Proms have only just started (as of this week), so you've landed your tuner at the right time. OK, so that's now two people with new (old) tuners to play with....glorious FM all the way!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:OK, so that's now two people with new (old) tuners to play with....glorious FM all the way!

Oooh, what's the model Andy?

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:I have an FM tuner too.

T61 though Joel - you gotta get in with the old stuff (vintage FM is where it's at)!
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:JoelSim:I have an FM tuner too.

T61 though Joel - you gotta get in with the old stuff (vintage FM is where it's at)!
emotion-5.gif

Wouldn't fit my rack

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Hughes123:JoelSim:I have an FM tuner too.

emotion-5.gif

Wouldn't fit my rack

You have a nice hi-fi racks specially made one don't you...oh well, it was worth a try converting you...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I got a nice FM tuner too (it lives inside my Arcam) it feeds on Radio 4, Radio 2 and Radio 3 mostly. Radio 2 on Saturday evenings at 20:00 - 21:00 (Suzy Quatro's programme) sounds uncannily good.

Get a good roof aerial installed no matter how strong a reception area you live in.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:JoelSim:Hughes123:JoelSim:I have an FM tuner too.

emotion-5.gif

Wouldn't fit my rack

You have a nice hi-fi racks specially made one don't you...oh well, it was worth a try converting you...

Yes, it was only £280, but upgrades are kind of dependent on being the same dimensions as my current gear. FMJ it is then...

T

the record spot

Hughes123:the record spot:OK, so that's now two people with new (old) tuners to play with....glorious FM all the way!

Oooh, what's the model Andy?

It's one of these - Sansui TU-317 from 1978 (rack mount handles included) and Andy's the other guy!
emotion-2.gif

TU-317.jpg

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I was asking Mr.Clough, but that Sansui is very sweet! It's a shame this Meridian isn't analogue! But it has a digital signal strength meter, so it's still well equiped...how many gangs is the TU-317?

A

Anonymous

fr0g:here's my rather less esoteric tuner, had it for years, still a cracker IMO (rarely used nowadays)

Sony ST-SB920

102.60MHz where we live is Fox Fm...absolutly awful local pop music station that broadcasts soooo loud I sware the dynamic range is around 1db!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:fr0g:here's my rather less esoteric tuner, had it for years, still a cracker IMO (rarely used nowadays)

Sony ST-SB920

102.60MHz where we live is Fox Fm...absolutly awful local pop music station that broadcasts soooo loud I sware the dynamic range is around 1db!

LOL. 1. I'm in Sweden... It isnt Fox FM. 2. The aerial wasnt plugged in, and it was cycling :)

T

the record spot

Hughes123:Sorry, I was asking Mr.Clough, but that Sansui is very sweet! It's a shame this Meridian isn't analogue! But it has a digital signal strength meter, so it's still well equiped...how many gangs is the TU-317?

Can't recall offhand - it's either three or four; I'll need to check fmtunerinfo for confirmation.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Hughes123:Sorry, I was asking Mr.Clough, but that Sansui is very sweet! It's a shame this Meridian isn't analogue! But it has a digital signal strength meter, so it's still well equiped...how many gangs is the TU-317?

Can't recall offhand - it's either three or four; I'll need to check fmtunerinfo for confirmation.

Fmtunerinfo never cease to amaze me with their expansive knowledge of practically every tuner! Have you checked out their shootout? Apparently at the end of all the shootouts, the Meridian came 13th I believe out 84...not bad in my books!

Edit: Just looked, the Sansui has three gangs and two filters (hope I got that right) and the very similar TU-217 came 67th out of 84, which is still pretty good! Apparently, it has "Good sound when reception is strong"!

Also, the Meridian has "Good bass, excellent midrange with smooth, just-right highs"...I can't wait to get it...but it's going to be two weeks away as I'm on holiday tommorrow for two weeks...TWO WEEKS WITHOUT MY HI-FI...WHAT SHOULD I DO?

(Looks discontentively towards the i-POD.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:Stop talking and listen to the Cello recital on Radio 3 now! Gorgeous with new FM roof aerial and Arcam Solo-Mini on Rega R3's.

Amazing! I'm listening to it on the freeview tuner on my PC - what a solo...quite long hey!

Edit: Apparently it was Bach!

A

Anonymous

Did anyone hear last night's Prom? It was awesome.

My tuner's rather 'new' by comparison - Sony ST-SE370. Digital signal meter which tells me I don't have a strong enough signal for Radio 3 in stereo :(. I still listen in stereo though - it's quite good despite the noise.

I bought a n indoor T aerial for it, which helped. I had to hang it in the middle of the room last night!

A

Anonymous

SmilerJerg:Did anyone hear last night's Prom? It was awesome.

Mr.Clough did!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:chebby:Stop talking and listen to the Cello recital on Radio 3 now! Gorgeous with new FM roof aerial and Arcam Solo-Mini on Rega R3's.

Amazing! I'm listening to it on the freeview tuner on my PC - what a solo...quite long hey!

Edit: Apparently it was Bach!

And better yet... I just had a 15 minute live performance of the Red Arrows right over my roof! (Sorry for being off-topic but it was a live performance and music to my ears.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:

And better yet... I just had a 15 minute live performance of the Red Arrows right over my roof! (Sorry for being off-topic but it was a live performance and music to my ears.)

REALLY? Wow! Where is that?

TRENDING THREADS