Whoa! There are too many (cd-players).. need advice :)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all :) I'm totally new here, but I like the forum as well the site, very nice :D I'm writing here because I'm in "want to spend moneys mood", but first I'm not an expert, second there are a lots of nice players in my price range (plus or minus 1000 pounds) Here they are the ones I've selected, what do you think about them? Take I'm mind that I don't listen Classical, Blues, Dance ecc, but mostly Electronica (Portishead, Ulver, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Sigur Ros), post-rock (Isis, Neurosis, Pelican), some good jazz (John Zorn for example), Diamanda Galas, Nick Cave, Tom Waits...and strings. I love strings!! (Yo-Yo Ma) Bon, so I think timing, resolution ad power are the key words, but absolutley I don't want to sacrifice musicality!!! Right now I possess a NAD C542, and I like it ;) ----- QUAD 99 CDP-2 -- NAIM CD5-i -- SIMAUDIO MOON CD-1 -- REGA APOLLO -- LEEMA STREAM -- ASTIN TREW AT3000CD (or 3500) -- BLUENOTE AUDIO KOALA ----- So, Thanks in advance, sorry for my strange English and a big hug from Italy! Marco

A

Anonymous

The astin trew 3500 is pretty good. My favourite would be a Creek Classic at £800 and the Electrocompaniet Prelude is supposed to be rather special but I think that will be more like £1500. If buying used then you may well be able to pick up an Accuphase DP-55 or DP-55V. These are in another league to players at the £1000 new mark...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
ASTIN TREW seem to get plenty of ink lately, all positively reviews too. I must make some effort to hear them.
Unico cd are suppose to be an Italian's gem and ignor some comments about bass is too heavy handed, I thought preformance at the bottom end was exceptional.

A

Anonymous

Thanks!!

The Astin Trew seems truly intresting!

I read also good things about the ROKSAN CASPIAN M that won the competition in the last whathifi issue agains the SIMAUDIO MOON CD-1 and also the LEEMA STREAM.. but the price in Italy is poumped: more than 2000 euros -_____-

I'll take a look for the Unico CD!

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
You owe it to your ears to at least hear the Roksan - it's quite remarkable.

[/quote]

Well it's better than the new Arcam FMJ anyway
emotion-5.gif

What about (Italian brand) Audio Analogue - very smooth and Primare-like
emotion-5.gif
- aren't they cheaper in Italy? Or the Primare CD21 itself - what are prices like there?

A

Anonymous

Well, I know Audio Analogue and Primare (too expensive in Italy) but they are both too smooth for my kind of music and tastes. But I'm saying that only for what I've read.... :(

I found an used UNICO CD-P for 800 euros... but I'm also corious about the Bluenote Audio Koala TUBE

http://www.bluenote.it/product.php/idp=46/id=1

The good think is that Buenote Audio, Unison Research and Audio Analogue are one hour far from the place where I live... so I'll soon ear myself these cd-players!

P.S. What was the verdict about the LEEMA STREAM on the last issue of VIDEOHIFI??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Marco, I have heard the Quad, Naim and Rega out of your list but not the others.

Looking at statement of 'timing, resolution and power' there really is only one player I'd wholeheartedly suggest at or just under your budget and thats the cyrus 8. It does everything you list and some. Add a psx to lower the noise floor further and its a machine that'll easily rival a good few more expensive players I've heard.

Match with a cyrus amp and good speakers and its a system good enough to keep for years and you can always add to it though you probably wont feel the need to.

PS. There's a new version of the cyrus player imminent so it may be worth waiting for on the other hand you should get a healthy discount on the end of line 8 once release dates are available.

A

Anonymous

Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield are doing new boxed black or silver Cyrus CD8X for £599 (no affiliation by the way)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][

Well it's better than the new Arcam FMJ anyway
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

Have you heard it like? :p

A

Anonymous

I just don't understand the furore over Cyrus! Just so bland sounding! Good hi-fi yes, good music, big big no... That's coming from a Cyrus owner! Can't believe I bought any. Should have listened first I suppose...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="BigGuads"]
I just don't understand the furore over Cyrus! Just so bland sounding! Good hi-fi yes, good music, big big no... That's coming from a Cyrus owner! Can't believe I bought any. Should have listened first I suppose...
[/quote]

Totally disagree but its a good thing we dont all like the same thing. There would be a few supply problems.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield are doing new boxed black or silver Cyrus CD8X for £599 (no affiliation by the way)[/quote]

Great price and imo puts both the naim and apollo to shame ... in a musical sort of way

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]Great price and imo puts both the naim and apollo to shame ... in a
musical sort of wa[/quote]

Where is that "shaking my head" icon gone! It is not bad but never put apollo and Naim to shame! Never...doesn't matter which way I look at it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="drummerman"]Great price and imo puts both the naim and apollo to shame ... in a musical sort of wa[/quote] Where is that "shaking my head" icon gone! It is not bad but never put apollo and Naim to shame! Never...doesn't matter which way I look at it.[/quote]

emotion-2.gif
(could'nt find a shaking head either so I put this one in)

No worries TM, like I said we all like different things. I have to say though I am very surprised (I think we had this conversation before) that you like the apollo. Very 'hifi' if there ever was one and lack of solid bass (imho). Still, its a lovely player for the money and paired right is superb. I have suggested it a few times in context of different systems.

A

Anonymous

heh heh, drummerman, if you like the noise cyrus makes you would detest my system! I put it together purely on how the music made me feel. Cyrus stuff makes me feel very indifferent...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="BigGuads"]
heh heh, drummerman, if you like the noise cyrus makes you would detest my system! I put it together purely on how the music made me feel. Cyrus stuff makes me feel very indifferent...
[/quote]

Not necesseraly. I've had both valve/ss systems and my taste is ecclectic to say the least. I can appreciate a good system if matched well and have heard many different ones I could happily live with. Yours looks gorgeous and I'm sure it sounds it too but you can hardly compare it with a cyrus set up for 2k or so incl speakers. Its all relative, interesting and diverse.

By the way, I think I remember you've had quite a substantial cyrus system. My view is that it stops soon after the 8 components with a couple of PSX's thrown in. I've heard high end cyrus systems in most of their incarnations and find them disappointing considering the money involved. So perhaps I dont entirely disagree with you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts