Who uses the tone controls on their amp?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't - surely it means you haven't got the right amp or speakers or something else? Doesn't it?

emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mattc76"]
I don't - surely it means you haven't got the right amp or speakers or something else? Doesn't it?

emotion-42.gif

[/quote]up till i bought my current set up i wanted tone and balance controls (can't remember if my little panasonic had them) and then once i got the NAD/B&W set up i started positioning things properly and not using them...!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Nope, mine stay as they are. But I do have to use the balance control, due to a rather big chair absorbing some of the sound and not having the room in the lounge to correctly position everything
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

I don't either, mind you my amp hasn't got any................

A

Anonymous

I do, proudly.

Tone-control snobbery really winds me up! If a particular recording sounds better to you with a little more/less bass/treble than 100% neutral, then why not trim it accordingly using the controls provided by the manufacturer?

Would you leave all your TV picture settings neutral if you thought that the contrast was too high or it was slightly too bright in low light?

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
I don't have tone control so don't use them, however...

One thing you will notice as you buy better kit is that accurate reproduction of the original source isn't always a good thing!

A number of recordings seem to be mixed such that it's optimised for smaller speakers (were most people listen; on a radio, iPod, in a car) but they sound dreadful on a proper hifi, so sometimes the opportunity to tweak the sound to accommodate the mixing isn't such a bad thing

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]Oh, there's no snobbery JB - I just choose not to use them.[/quote]

Apologies, that wasn't directed at posters on this thread(!).... I've just heard/read many people go on about this in a with a completely blinkered attitude.

A

Anonymous

I generally don't use tone controls when i'm listening to music, but I'm a musician so there are times when I would want to isolate the bassline for transcribing needs for example, so I'd use them then. Ditto left and right balance controls.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Once in a while when I want to annoy my parents with some hip-hop I might turn the bass up, but this is maybe 1% of my total listening. The rest of the times the amp stays on source direct, it sounds much better that way.

A

Anonymous

Bryston pre-amp here... no tone controls; although it does have a never used balance control.

There are times, however, when listening to FM that the station sounds a bit hollow and adding some base would not be a bad thing.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, having just upgraded I miss my treble and bass controls. Although I now have a more refined sound, surely hi-fi is about being able to manipulate your system to produce the sound you aspire. Otherwise, we would not have all these cable debates, bi-wire/ bi-amp options, dacs and transports, pre and power amps or even the need and market for so many different sounding componenets? Truth is, not all songs in my catalogue work with my system as it is, but with a little tweaking could sound so much better. Given that I listen to such a varied collection of music I will never be trully satisfied with the sound on every song. That said however, is what makes this quest for the hi-fi holy grail so intriguing!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Personally, having just upgraded I miss my treble and bass controls. Although I now have a more refined sound, surely hi-fi is about being able to manipulate your system to produce the sound you aspire. Otherwise, we would not have all these cable debates, bi-wire/ bi-amp options, dacs and transports, pre and power amps or even the need and market for so many different sounding componenets? Truth is, not all songs in my catalogue work with my system as it is, but with a little tweaking could sound so much better. Given that I listen to such a varied collection of music I will never be trully satisfied with the sound on every song. That said however, is what makes this quest for the hi-fi holy grail so intriguing![/quote]

Here here - a very articulate paragraph, couldn't agree more!

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="jbadman"]
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]Personally, having just upgraded I miss my treble and bass controls. Although I now have a more refined sound, surely hi-fi is about being able to manipulate your system to produce the sound you aspire. Otherwise, we would not have all these cable debates, bi-wire/ bi-amp options, dacs and transports, pre and power amps or even the need and market for so many different sounding componenets? Truth is, not all songs in my catalogue work with my system as it is, but with a little tweaking could sound so much better. Given that I listen to such a varied collection of music I will never be trully satisfied with the sound on every song. That said however, is what makes this quest for the hi-fi holy grail so intriguing![/quote]

Here here - a very articulate paragraph, couldn't agree more!

[/quote]

Thanks Badman.
May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on being so intuative.
You are now officially my best friend!

jaz9090

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
In my opinion, no tone controls is prob best if recording is perfect and matches room acoustics, but usually this doesn't happen!! Depends if you are going for 100% faithful reproduction or adjusting it to your taste/improve problems with recording.

A

Anonymous

Some cds have dreadful production (too bright, no bass etc) so require the use of tone controls if they are to sound at their best. What most people into hifi fail to realise is that interconnects are tone controls! They belittle anyone who uses tone controls and say that the source direct button on their amp is always pressed (or indeed that their amp is soooo good it doesn't need tone controls) yet they then go out and spend hundreds on cabling trying to obtain the sound they want their kit to make. Doh!

A

Anonymous

If i didnt have tone controls on my 340a it would have been thrown out of the window by now.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't use them even if I had them on my amp as I feel I shouldn't have to use them. In my opinion, it's the same as going to a decent restaurant and not being provided salt or pepper. If the chef has cooked it properly, I won't need them...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts