Which upgrade path for Rotel RA-05?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently enjoying the following setup: Rotel RA-05 with a pair of B&W 685 plus a Marantz SA7001 KI as source. I am considering an upgrade for the amplifier part. Please advise me what would give the best sound per pound:

- 1. add a RB-06 power amp from Rotel to my RA-05 and biamp,
or
- 2. sell the RA-05 and buy a Roksan Kandy LIII
or
- 3. sell the RA-05 and buy a Naim Nait 5i ?

My budget could be 1300 euro max (less is preferred). I usually listen to jazz, classical, ambient but pop/rock is not forgotten also. Room size: about 20 sq meteres.

Thanks!
Bob

A

Anonymous

It depends on the changes you're looking for in the sound. The RB06 would give you an improvement of the same characteristics (which I think are great) and would probably be pretty cheap too. The Kandy and Naim are a bit different and it will depend on your tastes.

Personally I'd be looking at the Kandy.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:It depends on the changes you're looking for in
the sound. The RB06 would give you an improvement of the same
characteristics (which I think are great) and would probably be pretty
cheap too. The Kandy and Naim are a bit different and it will depend on
your tastes.
Personally I'd be looking at the Kandy.

Thanks for the quick reply! I would like a bit more power and overall better sound quality. I suppose the Kandy/Nait are in a different league than Rotel 06 series. I am not very happy with the midrange in the actual system, seems a bit weak to me (and the problem is not the Marantz).

Personally I am for Kandy also (and is rated WHF best buy) but still not sure. The possibility to test it with my system is extremely limited (maybe null) so I would like to see how others rate this combo (Kandy+685) versus rotel+685. or Naim. My Rotel dealer commented that Marantz and B&W don't go well together but offered no explanation.

Bob

A

Anonymous

I think the Kandy will sound a lot clearer in the midrange than the Rotel but will probably be brighter too. I _think_ the CDP you have tends to be a little bright too so it'd be down to the 685s to reel things in. Probably not an unreasonable expectation...

A

Anonymous

So, I hope maybe someone knows if Kandy LIII + B&W 685 (until this point I know the combo is recommended by WHF) is working OK with Marantz CD players?... I bought the Marantz 7001 KI because seemed the only reasonable choice for CD/SACD playback (for the money).

Thanks again!
Bob

A

Anonymous

Yes, the Kandy LIII will sound great with your B&W 685's and Marantz cd player - you will definitely get a better sound across the board and than your bi-amping option.

I recommend the Kandy LIII wholeheartedly!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I think it will be the Kandy my choice, although I'm not very happy with the looks compared to Rotel for example...

I wonder: if I'm going to adopt multichannel SACD/Blu-ray in the future is there any receiver as good in stereo as the Kandy LIII or another equivalent stereo amp? I would love an answer from Andrew or Claire on this as I suppose they have huge experience.

Bob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts