Which turntable?

neil fd2

May 12, 2008
Visit site
I would appreciate a little help if possible. I`m looking to dust off some of the old vinyl after years of storage. I have a Luxman L550a II amp which apparently has a more than decent built in phono stage. I have no idea how much to spend on a turntable, arm & cartridge. As it`s a toe in the water exercise i don`t want to spend an absolute fortune but at the same time something that would stand a cartridge upgrade at a later date would be good should the vinyl bug bite. Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Yes, definitely the Rega as a minimum. You have a top amplifier, by the way, so, if you're happy buying second hand, a good Linn LP12 would go well, depending upon your speakers of course.

A

Anonymous

If you dont mind secondhand have a look for a Systemdek IIX. For about £175 youll get an amazing deck. You'd have to spend 3 or 4 times that for a significantly better deck.

A

Anonymous

Apart from the Systemdek, which is indeed a fine deck, if second hand is OK then you could also look at the Thorens TD125 or TD160 turntables, plus also AR, Roksan, Ariston etc. All at roughly the same standard as the Systemdek, though I'd argue the Thorens are better.

The problem you have is that your amp will reveal the failings of cheaper decks, so that rules out anything below the Rega new, and most of the Japanese decks second hand.

A

Anonymous

If you are happy with 2nd hand I would go for an AR deck - classic turntable and prices are not too inflated yet, unlike Thorens. If buying new rega or project are the best ways to go at prices to suit all pockets. PS if looking for a cartridge check what your amplifiers phono stage can accommodate.

neil fd2

May 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. I`ll check out some of your suggestions. I don`t mind ex dem or used. Also thought about complete packages with tonearm & cartridge as long as the deck was good enough for a cartridge upgrade at a later date. The amp supports both mc & mm cartridges but is supposedly better with moving coils. I`m a bit in the dark on this as the last turntable i had was a dual cs505 donkeys years ago.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
chebby:
There are some great decks on ebay.

This company (Inspire Hifi) actually make their own turntables as well as servicing and selling old ones on their own ebay shop....

Thorens TD125 with RB251 arm and new plinth + cartridge etc completely serviced and rebuilt.

For £469 I would buy it now (if I still played vinyl)

In fact I am tempted just to buy it anyway, regardless!

Been looking at that myself!, always tempted with Thorens and very tweakable.

I guess your choice is how far the upgrade path you want it to take you, Rega P3s are great but certainly a Linn will take you further than most..........at a price of course!
emotion-1.gif
and not forgetting the bulletproof residuals
emotion-5.gif

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
gz00:
If you are happy with 2nd hand I would go for an AR deck - classic turntable and prices are not too inflated yet, unlike Thorens.

Second that. Fitted out with a decent arm and cartridge will outperform the Rega and Project.

A

Anonymous

Definetly Rega P 3-24 and if you can also a TTPSU.

This is the deck which is difficult to beat under 1.000 Pounds. I can tell you I have a Rega P3-2000 and then have upgraded it with a Heed Orbit 1 plus Benz ACE L cartridge. The Orbit would cost you around 300 P and the Benz around 400 Pounds but I have serious doubts you would find a better set up for this kind of money which would come appr. to 1.100 Pounds.

Regards

Edgar

T

the record spot

Depends what the OP thinks is a toe in the water, so I'll assume entry level.

Project Genie III which has an interesting design, is less than £200 and is well regarded. Tweakable too by all accounts, but it will have its limitations.

The Rega P2. There is the P1, but the price differential between the two is minimal (£50-60 or so I think) and the P2 is the better deck of the two.

Used? Be careful here - there's tons of decent options out there, but if buying off Ebay, remember one man's "excellent condition" is another's "falling to bits". I had a similar experience when buying a Systemdek IIX a couple of years back which had to go back thanks to it not being quite the "great nick" the seller promised - got my cash back though luckily.

Plenty to choose from, but keep an eye out for the aforementioned Systemdek IIX (the ones with the teardrop shaped armboard are the earlier models, the rectangular ones being the later issue), the Pioneer PL-12 (should be under £30).

Be wary of Technics decks, they've been owned by thousands of people, but hammered at the same time by many. Terrific build and a great option, but I'd go for a new one and upgrade the arm and cartridge if you find you like the "toe in the water" session with the cheap deck instead.

neil fd2

May 12, 2008
Visit site
I`d happily spend £1k on something, maybe slightly more but not a lot. I`m reckoning that should get me a good quality deck with a bit of upgrade potential. Not keen on ebay for something like a turntable. I`d much prefer ex dem or used from a dealer for peace of mind.

T

the record spot

Michell Gyrodec, or the SE version at least. There's the Project X-Pack, Marantz have their TT1 (in effect, a rebadged Clearaudio who built it for them) and a bunch of others including, I think, the Rega P7. Audio Note have their TT1 and TT2 decks which ought to be within your reach.

Plenty of options out there, but one I would recommend is the Technics SL1210 - nope, not a DJ's deck - just have the stock arm removed, get a new one put on - Rega RB300 or 301 if it'll fit, upgrade the cartridge, stick on a new platter mat (Funk Firm Achromat or the like) and you've got a deck that's cost you around £850-£1k that'll take on allcomers up to £1500. Built like a tank as well which is good news for a TT. Rock solid direct drive mechanism too.

unison

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
The whole idea of inspire recycling LP12 and rega decks seem brilliant. Their are lots about to recycle. For there price I'm surprised people will buy new unless it is a entry level deck or one of those 1000+ decks I can't afford

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts