Which Turntable for Pioneer SC-LX81?

ConcreteFloater

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hello all!

I have a Pioneer SC-LX81 AV amp and Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6Ts. I use this pairing both for my Home Cinema setup and for my music listening too. I am craving a turntable to add to my setup as I haven't been able to listen to my reccords for too long now.

In the running are the Pro-ject Debut Carbon and the Rega RP3/Elys2. Both are in budget but I am wandering which may be better matched to my existing setup. Do you think the Rega is 'out of league' with my amp/speaker combo? Or, would the Pro-ject fall a little short?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks,

CF

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Both are great for the money.

I set up a system for a friend with the debut because it was 50€ cheaper here in belgium than the Rega, an he is really happy

only negative point is the anti skating set up that can be trick.

So to me both are killers for the money

ConcreteFloater

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts Roby.

As I won't be able to audition them side-by-side I was worried about my system not doing the RP3 justice. Theres no point the greater potential of the Rega not being realised if my system would be the weak-link!

My next mission is to try and audition the Rega with my current setup!

A trip to my local dealers is due I think.

CF

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think that the RP3 will be out of place in your system as the LX81 is a fantastic amp, I owned one for a couple of years, and the Tannoys are great speakers, at the end of the day the Source is pretty much the most important part of any system, both your amp and speakers are very revealing so the quality of the RP3 would really have a chance to shine though.

Definately worth an audition with your system if you get a chance, saying that I know you'll be more than happy with a RP3, especially if paired with Rega's MM Phono Stage :)

ConcreteFlaoter said:
Hello all!

I have a Pioneer SC-LX81 AV amp and Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6Ts. I use this pairing both for my Home Cinema setup and for my music listening too. I am craving a turntable to add to my setup as I haven't been able to listen to my reccords for too long now.

In the running are the Pro-ject Debut Carbon and the Rega RP3/Elys2. Both are in budget but I am wandering which may be better matched to my existing setup. Do you think the Rega is 'out of league' with my amp/speaker combo? Or, would the Pro-ject fall a little short?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks,

CF

Hi CF

As good as the SC-LX81 is however i feel that the RP3/Elys 2 will benefit from being partnered with higher quality of amplification. So, if the SC-LX81 is to stay for a while yet then the SC-LX81 should be able to get the most out of the Debut Carbon turntable. Rega's new RP1 - Carbon turntable and RP1 Performance Pack turntable are also worth considering.

Btw, you might also be interested to know that Rega will also shortly be releasing Union Flag finish versions of the RP1 Performance Pack and RP3/Elys 2 turntables which i feel look
smiley-cool.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ConcreteFloater

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

Paul, Rick, interesting to have your differing oppinions from you both.

Rick, you have echoed my thoughts. Tough to say how long the SC-LX81 will have a home... I was tempted by the SC-LX86! Though, to be honest, I think the more likely future of my kit in the next year or two will be to keep the AV kit dedicated to just that and to build a music-dedicated stereo system around a turntable and a decent streamer.

In some ways it makes the decision tougher still. Go for the better spec turntable now to become the source in an unknown, future, dedicated setup or, spec the turntable for my curent needs!

Oh, choice!!!

On a slight tangent, and for the sake of planning (dreaming!), what would one budget for an amp, speakers and phono stage for something like the RP3?

CF

ConcreteFlaoter said:
Thanks for your replies.

Paul, Rick, interesting to have your differing oppinions from you both.

Rick, you have echoed my thoughts. Tough to say how long the SC-LX81 will have a home... I was tempted by the SC-LX86! Though, to be honest, I think the more likely future of my kit in the next year or two will be to keep the AV kit dedicated to just that and to build a music-dedicated stereo system around a turntable and a decent streamer.

In some ways it makes the decision tougher still. Go for the better spec turntable now to become the source in an unknown, future, dedicated setup or, spec the turntable for my curent needs!

Oh, choice!!!

On a slight tangent, and for the sake of planning (dreaming!), what would one budget for an amp, speakers and phono stage for something like the RP3?

CF

Hi CF

Your welcome.

If it's going going to be another AV amp along similar lines then the Carbon or the RP1 will good enough. As for using the RP3/Elys 2 in a dedicated music system then an amplifier such as Rega's own Brio-R will support the RP3/Elys 2 nicely. The Brio-R has already got a good phono stage however Rega's new Fono MM is also worth bearing in mind as the Fono MM will reveal more of the RP3's qualities and one which also forms an excellent synergy with the Brio-R and RP3/Elys 2 :rockout:

Btw, your Tannoy's are good enough to to be paired with the RP3/Elys 2
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ConcreteFloater

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Following all your very interesting suggestions and some further research, my thoughts are moving towards one of the following options:

Option one -

Rega RP3/Elys2 into a Rega Brio-R then to my Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6Ts. I would use the Pre Outs on my Pioneer SC-LX81 AV amp to connect the front stereo chanels through the Brio-R.

Option two -

Rega RP3/Elys2 into Rega's Fono MM then to my SC-LX81 AV amp.

Obviously I'd love to audition all combinations but this may be unlikely. To my mind option one would be worth persuing. The only negative that I can see is that my DC6Ts are currently bi-amped from the SC-LX81 and couldn't be through the Rega Brio-R (unless I buy two!).

Following the logic of retaining my Tannoys and getting a second stereo amp; other than the Brio-R, can anyone suggest an alternative amp that possibly has Unity Gain and the option to bi-amp my Tannoys?

I look forward to more thoughts. As we all know the planning and pre-purchase debate is almost as much fun as the auditioning and the unboxing!

CF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts