Which system is best?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm after something to be my main music system in quite a large living area. All I really want is something to play and charge my ipod and a radio (FM and AM - DAB does not reach where I am although it will in future so would look into buying a system with this). As long as it sounds good and has some oomph I wouldn't say I'm up on the finer points of sound quality. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay much more than £300 but would if it was really worth it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

If you have a Richer Sounds near by it might be worth popping in and talking to a member of staff. I'm sure they will be able to provide you with what you want within your budget.

A

Anonymous

Just had a quick look on the Richer Sounds website and for just a wee bit over your budget I would be looking at:

Cambridge Audio iD10 ipod (dock)

Cambridge Audio Azur 340A (amp)

Cambridge Audio Azur 640T V2 (tuner)

Mordaunt Shors 902i (speakers)

Of course you will also need cables but dont be afraid to ask if they can throw something in for free...

If you could increase your budget then look at one of the better CA amps, I think it would be worth spending slightly more.

Good luck!

SteveR750

If you really want the best bang for your £300ish, then your best bet is to read the reviews on this site, and maybe others. Buy a couple of magazines; narrow it down to a handful of systems and search the internet for reviews, and and then you will get an idea of what is the expert and popular opinion of best buys. You will get more and better focused answers if your question is more specific maybe.

If you are happy with buying without trying then go with those results, otherwise see if you can find a retailer (such as Richer sounds) who can help you demo it before you buy. In any currency, austere times or boom, £300 is a lot of money just to trust to someone elses opinions.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
james_LR90:
Just had a quick look on the Richer Sounds website and for just a wee bit over your budget I would be looking at:

Cambridge Audio iD10 ipod (dock)

Cambridge Audio Azur 340A (amp)

Cambridge Audio Azur 640T V2 (tuner)

Mordaunt Shors 902i (speakers)

Of course you will also need cables but dont be afraid to ask if they can throw something in for free...

If you could increase your budget then look at one of the better CA amps, I think it would be worth spending slightly more.

Good luck!

I agree with these recommendations. IMHO Cambridge Audio make excellent, value-for-money gear that gives a nice, honest enjoyable sound into a range of speakers. I set up my parents with a similar system (with the 340 A amp) although ... I think the 340A amp is fine for a small room, but for a large room I'm not convinced it would have enough oomph.... Would you consider auditioning the 500 series amp then looking around for demo / second hand??

Cheers,

Dave

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your advice. I'm in Cumbria which seems to be about the only County without a Richer Sounds! I will definitely look at your suggestion though.

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you could stretch your budget a bit more, I think the Cambridge Audio One makes an excellent choice with its 35W built-in amplifier.

It has everything you want (ipod playback, charger, FM radio, etc) - and has a cd player as well. I think it sells for around 280 quid now. You'd have to get a pair of speakers of course, but these shouldn't cost you more than 130 pound (Wharfdale Diamonds or CA's own speakers).

With cables I reckon you're looking at a total outlay of 430-450 pounds for a modestly-powered but value-for-money system.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Why not just buy one of those Denon Micro Systems? They are now in their x'th generation, everytime better if the reviews are to be believed. Should do everything you want and probably difficult to better at that price, especially with speakers included. 20 or 30w/ch is plenty to go loud with sympathetically matched speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts