Which standmounts to match my Cyrus Pre/Power Combo?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd like to replace my B&W CDM 9NT floor-standers with some smaller stand mount speakers. The B&W's are too big for the room and I've heard they don't match very well with the Cyrus kit. Anyway, I also fancy a change!

Issues are:

- Wooden flooring

- Speakers will be in a corner

What type of speaker should I look at with around £1k + stands for the budget?

No specifc music tastes, but no classical / blues / heavy rock - otherwise fairly mainstream I suppose.

I'm considering PMC DB1's as a starting point for my budget. Also wonder about stretching to the Twenty.21's

(I've heard nothing so far)

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Which Cyrus pre and power amplifier do you have?

The PMC Twenty series is well worth looking at as they're front ported, and their tonal balance will suit close boundary useage.

Also look at the ATC SCM11, Spendor S3/5r2, and KEF LS50. You might get away with the DB1i's, but their tonal balance won't match the detail level of the ones I've mentioned when used in a corner, in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Sorry - I should have said. I have the DAC XP and a pair of MonoX's. They'll be fed FLAC files, using the Cyrus on-board DAC.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi nickd01

ATC's SCM11 monitors should do the trick. SCM11 monitors with their closed box design and more importantly flat and honest presentation helps them to be positioned close to walls, tight spaces, corners :)

Btw, i'll recommend that you should also consider alternative makes of pre amplification so as to bring pre amplification quality up to the level of the power amps. DAC/pre amplification such as Antelope Audio's Zodiac+ HD Mastering 192kHz DAC or Zodiac Gold HD 384kHz DAC are worth bearing in mind.

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Plus-Mastering-DAC

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Gold-DAC

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Rick @ Musicraft advised something similar to me a year or so ago when I was looking for new speakers for my Cyrus aCA7.5 pre and 2 x Smart Power running in mono.

He advised to change the pre-amp.

I changed my speakers first and they made a bit of a difference.

I tried two different pre amps and eventually settled on one that really brings out the qualities of the speakers. Also do justice to the power amps. Perhaps I should have listened to him sooner!

Do not underestimate the effect the pre-amp has on a system.

Having said that I don't think I have heard your pre-amp.

I did demo some speakers using an all Cyrus system but don't know what pre was used.

Speakers were Spendor A6, ProAc Response D18 and some Spendor book shelf, possibly S3/5r2.

The Spendor A6 sounded AMAZING!

I think the S3/5r2 where overwhelmed by the large room.

I ended up buying Spendor SA1 speakers. Just right for my room, 3.3M x 2.8M.

When demoing make sure you take into account the demo room and narrow down to a few (2 or 3) for home demo.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the feedback.

It's interesting you suggest the pre-amp isn't up to the same quality as the power amps. The Cyrus kit was chosen for it's high WAF score, and it was nicely discounted. I commited the cardinal sin of not being as fussed about the sound quality - it was supposed to be a "stop-gap" !

Still, you now have me questioning whether I should sell the Pre/Power combo and look at something else. Aargh, that's another can of worms really! Still, I want to ensure the system is as "balanced" front-to-back as I can as I don't intend on changing it very often.

Hhmmm, maybe I'll see how much I can sell them for.....!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just a suggestion:

It’s worth getting a home demo of other speakers with your amps first as you might find something just right. With the sort of money you have already spent and are likely to spend its worth taking your time. Also having reread you original post you are already planning on getting new speakers anyway so might as well see if you can get something to suit your needs first. If not then consider changing amps that match the new speakers you are considering.

pump22

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Try the various speakers at home and see what sounds best in your house and then try different positions in the room. Also, I tried harbeth, spendor and proac before buying the D1's. Saying that I ad spendor with the set up before.

Before the bel canto pre I had a pre sv2 and the pre3 was so much better, more musical etc... maybe try that if you have a chance to :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
nickd01 said:

It's interesting you suggest the pre-amp isn't up to the same quality as the power amps. The Cyrus kit was chosen for it's high WAF score, and it was nicely discounted. I commited the cardinal sin of not being as fussed about the sound quality - it was supposed to be a "stop-gap" !

Don't worry, the DACxp is perfect for the Mono X's, which ideally shouldn't really be used with anything less.

nickd01 said:

Still, you now have me questioning whether I should sell the Pre/Power combo and look at something else. Aargh, that's another can of worms really! Still, I want to ensure the system is as "balanced" front-to-back as I can as I don't intend on changing it very often.

Hhmmm, maybe I'll see how much I can sell them for.....!

Hi nickd01

Your welcome.

The Mono X's are perfectly good however i hate to say it but i don't feel Cyrus pre amps are up to the standard of their power amplifiers. As others have also discovered i would recommend looking at pre amplification from others manufacturers so as to drive and ultimately energize Cyrus power amplifiers more effectively.

If you do opt for a complete change then has also been suggested Bel Canto are also worth consideration as from my understanding this is also a make which a fair number of former Cyrus owners are using.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There seems to be an ongoing negativity towards Cyrus pre-amps by yourself Rick, and judging by your comments, I'm not sure you have much recent or worthwhile experience of the current pre-amps. I would suggest that anyone who is unsure of the abilities of Cyrus pre-amplifiers should pop along to their local retailer to try them out - those that have heard the DACxp+ in a full Cyrus system driving the revealing KEF Blades in our store have been nothing short of impressed. Cyrus amplification really comes alive when you enter the realms of their pre/powers.

Now I appreciate that everyone can have an opinion (an informed one, I should add), but unfounded blanket statements are very dangerous. Whilst I'm not a fan of the ATC SCM40's, you don't see me posting up on forums that ATC don't make very good speakers. I chose that example as I'm sure you'll relate better to it.

FennerMachine said:
Rick @ Musicraft advised something similar to me a year or so ago when I was looking for new speakers for my Cyrus aCA7.5 pre and 2 x Smart Power running in mono.

He advised to change the pre-amp.

I changed my speakers first and they made a bit of a difference.

I tried two different pre amps and eventually settled on one that really brings out the qualities of the speakers. Also do justice to the power amps. Perhaps I should have listened to him sooner!

Do not underestimate the effect the pre-amp has on a system.

Having said that I don't think I have heard your pre-amp.

I did demo some speakers using an all Cyrus system but don't know what pre was used.

Speakers were Spendor A6, ProAc Response D18 and some Spendor book shelf, possibly S3/5r2.

The Spendor A6 sounded AMAZING!

I think the S3/5r2 where overwhelmed by the large room.

I ended up buying Spendor SA1 speakers. Just right for my room, 3.3M x 2.8M.

When demoing make sure you take into account the demo room and narrow down to a few (2 or 3) for home demo.

Hi FennerMachine

Your welcome and good to hear that you are enjoying the performance of the Quad pre amplification :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

pump22 said:
Try the various speakers at home and see what sounds best in your house and then try different positions in the room. Also, I tried harbeth, spendor and proac before buying the D1's. Saying that I ad spendor with the set up before. Before the bel canto pre I had a pre sv2 and the pre3 was so much better, more musical etc... maybe try that if you have a chance to :)

Hi p22

Nice one :) The bel canto products look 8)

All the best

Rick @ musicraft

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
David, have you compared DacXP+ to other dac/preams? and which ones? Benchmark Dac1 Pre, Antelope, Bel Canto dac 3.5 vb.... can you consider that those can sound better?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts