Which speakers to match with my Roksan Kandy L.lll amplifier.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Im thinking about a system upgrade and want to know which speakers would best suit my Roksan Kandy L III. I have a budget of around £300-£400 and am finding it difficult to find a nice set of speakers within my price range. Ideally I would prefer floorstanders although standmounts are also an option. The amp has an rms output of 125w so im thinking a speaker with an output of 200w would be well suited, I dont want to risk blowing a set with a lower output. I mainly listen to Punk/rock etc, and lets face it it has to be loud, any help, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

matthewpiano

First advice - don't worry about 200w power handling. You are more likely to damage speakers by driving them with an under-pwoered amp that is distorting (or 'clipping') than by sensible use of an amp that has plenty of power in reserve. Have you looked at the B&W 685s?

A

Anonymous

They had caught my eye due to the good reviews they consistantly recieve but due to them being 100w i hadnt considered them. I was told by a man in a shop that speakers should generally be a third higher in power than the amp. Thanks for the comment as I was unaware this was'nt the case and now i can look at a wider range of speaker.

A

Anonymous

Doe's anybody know how floorstanders compare to standmounts?, im looking at a pair of kef IQ5 but want to be sure that floorstanders are the best option.

A

Anonymous

What cd player do you use? The B&W 685's are the recommended choice by What Hi-Fi, assuming your cd player is a Rega Apollo. These are also in your price range.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO id stay away from the KEF speakers.

I auditioned them with Roksan and Cyrus amps @ Sevenoaks and they sounded terrible. Lacked in bass, midrange wasnt good at all and the treble was dull.

The Roksan amp kicks out some welly so it'd be a good idea to know music you listen to?

As said above the B&W 685's are a great match with the Roksan amp. They sound very good, full well controlled bass, smooth and detailed midrange and treble thats great on the ears.

You could also possible consider the M/A RS6 and B&W 684 floorstanding speakers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It may be easier to change your taste in music to something a little more mellow that you can play at lower volumes
emotion-7.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Guysock:
They had caught my eye due to the good reviews they consistantly recieve but due to them being 100w i hadnt considered them. I was told by a man in a shop that speakers should generally be a third higher in power than the amp. Thanks for the comment as I was unaware this was'nt the case and now i can look at a wider range of speaker.

The man in the shop was talking nonsense. My speakers are 120w and so is my amp. I'm never going to be able to turn my amp up full whack - my windows would smash before either of my toys would break. You get a lot of great amps that only offer around 50w per channel. The man in the shop would try to match them with 40w speakers??! He knows nothing!!

A

Anonymous

i Listened the other day to the Roksan amp and tried it with the B&W's and like everyone says they are very good but since my room was not too big i thought they might be a bit heavy so i ended up buying the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2's - very nice very clear and detailed but you may think they lack a bit of bass - depends if you like fine detail or plenty of welly to boot!

neil

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the suggestions it seems the B&W 685'S are a clear favourite but im still a little unsure if they will be as loud as i would like them. I mainly listen to things like metallica, fall of troy, leftover crack, nofx, rancid, and i tend to play it as loud as i can without ******* off the neighbours. Do you think they are up to handling this kind of use? Im a little paranoid about blowing speakers as I have recently done this to my B&O redlines!!

Sorry Joel but I wont be swapping genres anytime soon
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

People on here have reccomended the rega r3 floorstanders to me for rock at £500

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the suggestions it seems the B&W 685'S are a clear favourite but im still a little unsure if they will be as loud as i would like them. I mainly listen to things like metallica, fall of troy, leftover crack, nofx, rancid, and i tend to play it as loud as i can without ******* off the neighbours. Do you think they are up to handling this kind of use? Im a little paranoid about blowing speakers as I have recently done this to my B&O redlines!!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Guysock:

The 685s will be fine. I have a pair of 602 S3s (The 685s older brothers) and listen to even more punishing material than you do. I've had my stuff for 6 years and never had an issue. Demo some 685s, I haven't heard them, but if they're anywhere near as good as my 602s, you're onto a winner.

Alternatively, buy me the 685s and I'll give you my 602s. OK?

:)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The 602 S2's and 602 S3's were/are brilliant standmount speakers; the best in that price range across the market i'd say!

The 685's are also very VERY good and believe me; you'll be able to push them hard. They actually thrive on being pushed hard! A bit like my Honda Integra DC5.

If it's not being driven hard it doesnt like it!

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I concour with this gerrardasnails. I run a couple of bridged NAD 2200PE's into my 6 ohm impedance AE AElite 2's (rated at 175w power handling). They see (the amps that is) the load as only 3 ohms in this configuration and power rms is 4-500Watts per channel! (according to manual). I listen to melodic/prog rock to thrash metal. Haven't blown the speakers yet despite playing loud and the amps are just ticking over!

So hope Guystock you broaden your auditioning list and not worry too much re specifications.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

If you want to play your music loud I'd recommend any of the B&W. They are reliable and has a very good sound with rock music. Another thing I'd say to you is that If you have the space go for the B&W 684 instead of monitors or 685.

And as for what I've seen and been told, speakers can be driven for gears much powerful that their max.reccomended watts. You could drive speaker safely with an amp which is 50w more powerful than its reccomended power handling. Because this is an very safe approximation for not to burn them. If you listen to normal and 'safe for your ears' volume levels you cannot harm them.

Join the Rotel web page so you can download what's called the Rotel Encyclopedia. It has very good explanations for all this things.

TRENDING THREADS